Mediterranean Cauliflower and Pepper Salad
A salad can make a satisfying low-calorie meal with the right ingredients.
A salad can make a satisfying low-calorie meal if you use the right plant-based ingredients like protein-rich garbanzo beans and the satiating, heart-healthy fat from olive oil. The fresh herbs (as well as the vegetables) have anti-inflammatory properties and the cauliflower in part provides powerful antioxidants and phytonutrients that protect against disease and dietary fiber to feed the good bacteria in your gut, which plays a key role in reducing inflammation.
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped red and/or yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs such as mint, parsley, basil, and/or oregano
- 2 tablespoon chopped green onion or chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
How to Make It
- In a bowl combine the first eight ingredients (through lemon zest). Sprinkle with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper; toss to coat.
- Top with feta cheese and olives.
- To Store: Cover and chill salad up to 24 hours
per serving: 238 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 518 mg sodium, 5 g sugar, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein
For more healthy eating news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Eat This, Not That!
Inspired by The New York Times best-selling book series, Eat This, Not That! is a brand that's comprised of an award-winning team of journalists and board-certified experts, doctors, nutritionists, chefs, personal trainers, and dietitians who work together to bring you accurate, timely, informative, and actionable content on food, nutrition, dieting, weight loss, health, wellness, and more. Read more about Eat This