A Decadent Mexican Chocolate Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Chocolate for breakfast? It's not too good to be true. This Mexican chocolate smoothie bowl features dark chocolate almond milk, along with chopped chocolate, for a creamy meal that's way less sugary than your typical chocolate treat.
Thanks to Greek yogurt, tofu, and roasted almonds, along with the almond milk, this smoothie bowl packs a powerful 11 grams of protein, no meat required. And if you substitute the Greek yogurt for a plant-based option, the recipe can be made vegan, too. (Want even more substitutions? You can always swap out the almonds for another type of chopped nut to top your bowl with, or sub in other fruit for the fresh raspberries.)
This smoothie bowl is packed with nutritious, plant-based goodness—and it's just as tasty as its higher-calorie counterparts. The best part? Despite the rich chocolate and fruit flavors, this recipe has just 14 grams of sugar in each serving.
And if you're wondering where the "Mexican chocolate" factor comes in, it's all in how this smoothie bowl is seasoned. The ground cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla add extra flavor to this delectable breakfast. Cinnamon and chocolate are a classic combination in sweet Mexican recipes; if you haven't tried the duo before, this is a great place to start. (Plus, adding a pinch of cinnamon to the top of your hot cocoa? Game-changing.) The added seasonings and flavors won't overpower the chocolate and the fruit—the ingredients all work together to make one delicious and healthy breakfast option.
Nutrition: 228 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated), 179 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 11 g protein
Makes 1 serving
4 oz silken tofu, drained
3/4 cup ice cubes
2 Tbsp plain low-fat Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp dark chocolate almond milk
2 tsp pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup fresh raspberries
1 Tbsp unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
1/4 oz bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
How to Make It
- Squeeze tofu between paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible.
- In a blender, combine tofu, ice cubes, yogurt, almond milk, syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a bowl. Top with raspberries, almonds, and chopped chocolate.
More content from Recipes
- – 13 Healthier Old-Fashioned Midwestern Recipes To Try Tonight
- – 30+ Easy Dinners That Will Leave You With Plenty of Leftovers
- – 20 Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes To Make This Weekend
- – 23 Old-Fashioned Summer Recipes You Need To Make
- – 15 Classic 1950-era Dishes That Will Make You Feel Super American
- – 15 Vintage Cakes That Are Perfect for Birthdays
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat
- – The Best Classic Recipes Your Grandma Used to Make