After Closing a Significant Number of Locations, This Popular Pizza Chain Will Expand Again in 2022
After a difficult pandemic year, in which it had filed for bankruptcy and permanently shut down about 13% of all its restaurants, beloved West Coast chain California Pizza Kitchen is taking steps toward a global and domestic expansion. The brand will add new locations to its footprint in 2022 and beyond by launching a domestic franchising program for the first time in history.
The 35-year-old chain emerged from bankruptcy in late 2020 and has since regained its footing, returning to its pre-pandemic performance levels in 2021. In the last year, the company focused on getting California Pizza Kitchen up to speed with digtal and marketing innovations as well as a menu upgrade which brought customers new focaccia items and healthful pizza toppings. The company also managed to complete its debt refinancing transaction with a new $195 million senior secured credit facility, readying it to build on the recovery momentum with an expansion to new markets.
CPK currently operates a total of 200 locations across eight countries and U.S. territories, 40 of which are franchised locations abroad, and 16 of which are domestic franchises in airports, casinos, and stadiums. The domestic growth planned for next year will bring the chain to new states on its home turf, as its presence is currently confined to California, where the bulk of the restaurants are located, Hawaii, Texas, and Florida.
But the brand is also looking to further expand around the globe as well. After signing new deals to open locations in Canada and Hong Kong this year, the company is planning to take the brand further into Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Honduras, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Singapore, and the Caribbean in the near future.
California Pizza Kitchen is best known for creative, California-inspired dishes using fresh, premium ingredients, like the famed Original BBQ Chicken Pizza and other global favorites including the Thai Crunch Salad and Garlic Cream Fettuccini.
For more, check out:
- This Major BBQ Chain Is Expanding to 100 New Locations
- After Shrinking For the Last Two Years, This National Pizza Chain Is Planning a Major Expansion
- Despite Widespread Criticism, America's Largest Sandwich Chain Is Making a Comeback
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 7 Restaurant Chains You're Going to See Everywhere in 2023
- – Taco Bell Has a New Guacamole, But Customers Are Divided on the Taste
- – McDonald's Is a Testing a Futuristic Drive-Thru Concept, But It Isn't As Cool as Taco Bell's
- – 4 Celebrities Who Eat Free at McDonald's—For Life!
- – Subway's New Footlong Cookies Are a Sight to See, Here's How to Get One
- – Battle of the Italian Chicken Sandwiches: Wendy's vs. Burger King
- – Controversial Flick "The Menu" Serves Up Restaurant Realism and Murder, and Chefs Love it
- – Taco Bell's Entire Breakfast Menu—Ranked From Least to Most Healthy