Kanye West Just Announced a Major Collaboration With McDonald's
But Ye won't be working on a menu item with Mickey D's. Instead, he'll be "reimagining" the chain's packaging. According to the rapper's latest Instagram post, he has been collaborating with industrial designer Naoto Fukasawa in order to redesign the McDonald's iconic burger box.
Showing us a preview, West hinted the cardboard box may be the first of several things he'll be designing for the chain. "Next week it's the fries," he wrote in an Instagram story. McDonald's hasn't confirmed the news and it is unclear when these alleged designs will launch.
And don't miss Taco Bell Just Added Four New Items to the Menu.
Ye announced the collaboration on his Instagram on May 23. Prior to the post, he was temporarily barred from the platform. The rapper had posted an image of a Google search page for The Daily Show's host Trevor Noah alongside a caption containing racial slurs, according to TMZ. Noah had commented on the rapper's treatment of his ex-wife Kim Kardashian during his show.
"Gotta say though, Ye making his Instagram return with a post about McDonald's was not what I was expecting for his comeback lol," one user chimed in on the new post.
McDonald's has collaborated with a broad spectrum of celebrities in its past. Most famously, the chain created the BTS meal with the mega-popular Korean band, which included two signature sauces that have since been gone from the menu. Additionally, the chain has tapped Mariah Carey, Saweetie, J. Balvin, and Travis Scott to create signature meals and menus. The collaboration with Ye and Naoto Fukasawa is the only one McDonald's has done that features a dual reimagining of its iconic branding.
Co-collaborator Naoto Fukasawa is known for his highly functional and minimalist takes on everyday design. He has notably worked for the Japanese retail company MUJI, as well as Herman Miller, Alessi, and B&B Italia, and has designed ordinary products like cookware, cell phones, appliances, bikes, cars, and furniture.
More content from Restaurants
- – These Struggling Pizza Chains Are on a Major Rebound
- – 6 Fast-Food Orders To Avoid If You Have High Blood Sugar
- – Are PSLs Dying? I Wanted to Try 5, but Could Only Find These 3
- – 8 Chefs' Tips for Ordering the Best Meal at a Steakhouse
- – A Leaked Wendy's Memo Reveals the Next Big Menu Launch Scheduled for This Fall
- – 8 Fast-Food Sandwiches To Stay Away From Right Now, According to RDs
- – 8 Secrets Texas Roadhouse Employees Don't Want You to Know
- – The Latest Changes at America's Largest Coffee Chain Seem to Be Designed to Turn Customers Away