McDonald's Just Revealed When It's Bringing Back the McRib
Like clockwork, McDonald's announced its annual reappearance of the McRib on nationwide menus. And while many wait for this announcement each year, others are less than enthused. Is the era of this pork sandwich slowly coming to an end? Can we see a world without the McRib?
The McRib is actually turning 40 this year—a very long run for a very retro item. It was born in Kansas City in 1981, and was at first only a regional favorite. But the limited-time offer can thank its status as a fast-food icon and its long career to the advent of social media, which helped build up the hype around it every single season.
"In the 80s, the masterminds behind McDonald's food innovation had a truly unique idea: an undeniably delicious sandwich that could be enjoyed during the colder seasons," said Mike Bullington, Senior Archives Manager at McDonald's. "Whether you're a McRib loyalist or first-timer, there is no denying that the McRib is one of the most iconic sandwiches of the last four decades and we have thousands of emails and tweets from fans to prove it."
So what is it that keeps fans intrigued and eagerly awaiting the McRib Season every year? It could be the seasoned boneless pork patty slathered in BBQ sauce, or it could be the nostalgia and the really great marketing around it. Whatever the case is, the McRib is a limited-time offer almost synonymous with McDonald's.
And now let's get to when you'll actually be able to enjoy it this year. Almost a month earlier than in 2020, and later than in pre-pandemic years, the McRib is hitting nationwide menus on November 1 this year.
Interestingly, while the sandwich has legions of excited fans professing their love for it on Twitter, it also has what seems like an equal number of naysayers. In fact, one of the most common reactions to the McRib announcement was: why the McRib and not the Snack Wraps?
The beloved Snack Wraps began being phased out several years ago and were finally discontinued last year—to the surprise of customers. Unfortunately, McDonald's recently made it clear there are currently no plans for bringing them back. Hey, McDonald's, maybe it's time to give the people what they really want! Have an opinion on the McRib vs the Snack Wrap? Send us a note at [email protected]
And for more, check out:
- 12 Controversial Secrets Restaurant Chains Don't Want You to Know
- We Tried Every Breakfast Sandwich at McDonald's, and This Was the Best
- McDonald's Just Brought Back This Popular Fall Drink
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – Wendy's May Soon Debut This Long-Awaited Frosty in the U.S.
- – Taco Bell Just Added Four New Items to the Menu
- – 7 Secrets Applebee's Doesn't Want You to Know
- – 5 Fast-Food Burger Chains Customers Are Flocking To
- – 4 New Menu Additions You'll Find at Burger King
- – 5 Steakhouse Chains Falling Out of Favor With Customers
- – 8 Fast-Food Items With Ridiculous Amounts of Fat
- – 8 Bizarre Rules Taco Bell Employees Have to Follow