Popeyes Is Bringing Back This Beloved Discontinued Item Today
If there is one thing that truly defines Popeyes fans, it's that they don't like to see their beloved items disappear from the menu. When the insanely popular chicken sandwich sold out for about two months during the Chicken Sandwich Wars of 2019, the shortage launched a social media melee, with one man in Tennessee even suing the chain after he walked away empty-handed.
Two years later, one discontinued side caused Twitter to mourn for months on end. Last February, Popeyes announced it was discontinuing Cajun Rice, one of the most iconic side dishes paying homage to its Cajun roots. Popeyes devotees declared on Twitter that the rice was the best side dish on the chain's menu and petitions were started to bring it back.
And those same fans can finally rejoice because the rice is now back at Popeyes as part of its 50th Anniversary celebration. Starting today, the side dish is available nationwide for a limited time—so enthusiasts of the dish should know to head to their local Popeyes as quickly as possible to snag a cup.
And don't miss 4 Burger Chains With the Most Food Quality Complaints
For those that have yet to try Popeyes Cajun Rice, it features Cajun and creole seasonings mixed with minced meat, bell pepper, onion, garlic, celery, and cayenne pepper. It is priced at $3.49 at most locations. The chain's other standard sides are Biscuits, Coleslaw, Red Beans & Rice, Mashed Potatoes with Cajun Gravy, Homestyle Mac & Cheese, and Cajun Fries.
In conjunction with the return of the popular Cajun Rice (formerly known as "Rice Dressing"), Popeyes will also be offering five pieces of crispy chicken for $6.99, as well as a new dessert. The Strawberry Cheesecake Fried Pie will come filled with a creamy cheesecake and graham cracker filling in a deep-fried shell. It will be available for a limited time at most locations at a suggested price of $1.99.
To further commemorate its 50th birthday, the chain is inviting long-lasting couples, or their family members and friends, to nominate their love stories via direct message on Twitter or by sending an email to [email protected] Popeyes will pick its favorite story to be featured in one of its ads.
More content from Restaurants
- – This Old-School Restaurant Chain Is Overhauling Its Menu To Attract Younger Customers
- – This Popular Burger Chain Is Rolling Out a New Way to Place an Order—and Customers Love It
- – Two Steakhouse Brands Top the List of America's Best Dine-In Chains, New Data Shows
- – Popeyes Is Bringing Back This Popular Free Sandwich Promotion for the Summer
- – This Struggling Bakery Chain Is Getting a Second Life Under New Ownership
- – Burger King Is Replacing This Long-Standing Value Deal and Customers Are Not Happy
- – You're About to See This One-Of-a-Kind Chicken Chain Everywhere
- – McDonald's Is Making Major Internal Changes That Will Impact the Way It Operates