Popeyes Fans Are Still Upset About This Discontinued Side Dish
Several months on, Popeyes fans are still mourning the removal of Cajun Rice from the menu. The news was first confirmed all the way back in January, but complaints are still pouring in, with collective grieving currently locked somewhere between denial and bargaining.
"I don't think I'll ever get over Popeyes taking the cajun rice away," reads a recent Tweet, one of many expressing surprise and frustration. In fact, if you do a quick search of "Popeyes Cajun Rice" on the social platform, you'll come up against a wall of sentimental memes and gifs lamenting the loss of the beloved dish. Some have taken it a step further and are threatening to withhold their business if the chain doesn't fix this error in judgment.
And while those who frequent Popeyes on a regular basis have been living with this reality for some time, others have only recently learned that they can no longer get Cajun Rice, and are completely shocked.
Cajun Rice was a favorite among Popeyes fans. Technically a side dish, it was enjoyed by many—and in many different ways. Over on Reddit, one fan explained his custom of mixing the Red Beans & Rice with an order of Cajun Rice. To an enthusiast on Twitter, Cajun Rice was not a side dish at all, but the main event—and the chain's famous fried chicken was "just a side gig."
Here's a Cajun Rice tribute someone posted to Reddit, asking others to sign a petition to bring the item back.
Is there any hope of Cajun Rice returning to the menu? We reached out to Popeyes to get to the bottom of it, and received a somewhat mysterious response. "Our Cajun Rice [is] no longer on the permanent menu," a spokesperson confirmed. "However, we still have a bunch of delicious sides. Plus, maybe it will come back." Here's to hoping!
And for more, check out:
- Popeyes Just Brought Back Two More Beloved Fan-Favorites
- The Best & Worst Menu Items at Popeyes, According to an RD
- 6 Secret Popeyes Menu Items You Have to Try at Least Once
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – McDonald's Report Reveals the #1 Most-Ordered Item in 2022—& It Isn't a Burger
- – This 108-Year-Old Louisiana Woman Simply Can't Get Enough Taco Bell
- – 8 Popular Brunch Orders That Make Chefs Roll Their Eyes
- – Wendy's Is Now the Most Expensive Fast Food Restaurant in the U.S., New Data Says
- – Wawa Is Finally Opening Its First Locations In a Handful of States
- – 11 Signs a New Restaurant Is Worth Trying, According to Experts
- – Looking for the Cheapest Fast-Food Near You? There's Finally a Database to Help
- – This Is the One Chicken Wing Chain That Chefs Actually Rave About