The Parent Company of Popeyes and Burger King Just Purchased This Beloved Sandwich Chain
Restaurant Brands International (RBI), which operates the mega-chains, announced today that it was acquiring Firehouse Subs, a 27-year-old sandwich chain famous for hearty subs piled high with top-quality meats and other ingredients.
Firehouse Subs was acquired in a $1 billion, all-cash transaction. And you're about to see the brand truly take off as the new parent company said in a statement it was focused on its long-term growth. Currently, there are about 1,200 locations of the chain spread across 46 states, Puerto Rico, and Canada, and 97% of them are operated by franchisees.
And no wonder the chain has garnered interest from the high-powered buyer. Firehouse Subs has seen tremendous post-pandemic recovery with a 20% growth in year-to-date sales in October, as compared to 2019. More broadly, the chain has quadrupled its systemwide sales in the last decade.
"Firehouse Subs is a special brand with a talented team, impressive culture, and community focus that resonates with guests and closely aligns with our core values at RBI," Jose Cil, CEO of Restaurant Brands International, said in a statement. "We see tremendous potential to accelerate U.S. and international growth at Firehouse Subs with RBI's development expertise, global franchisee network, and digital capabilities."
Besides being rated the #1 fast-food sandwich brand for food quality, the chain is also beloved by its fans for the charitable component of its mission. Founded in 1994 by brothers Chris and Robin Sorensen, both of whom served as firefighters, the company established and still operates the non-profit Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation. The organization provides lifesaving equipment and needed resources to first responders and public safety organizations.
For more, check out:
- Here's Why Popeyes Almost Disappeared From the Fast-Food Scene
- Burger King Is Discontinuing This Decades-Old Customer Attraction
- Is In-N-Out Opening Its First Locations In This Southern State?
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 9 Secrets You Should Know About LongHorn Steakhouse
- – 10 Best Chain Restaurant Deals and Freebies You Can Score On Black Friday
- – 8 Fast-Food Chains That Use the Highest Quality Meat
- – 11 Restaurant Chains Open on Thanksgiving Day
- – McDonald's Latest Dessert Partner Plans to Shutter 14 More Locations in 2023
- – 8 Cheapest Cheeseburger and Fry Combos at Popular Fast-Food Chains
- – 6 Best Fast-Food French Fries, According to Chefs
- – 5 Thanksgiving Restaurant Deals That Could Be Cheaper Than Cooking at Home