Taco Bell Just Announced Their First Chicken Sandwich
Taco Bell is finally lifting the veil on their chicken plans for the year. The chain hinted in January that they won't be watching the Chicken Sandwich Wars from the sidelines, and have just made good on their promise by announcing the first in what looks to be a series of new crispy chicken items.
According to a press release, Taco Bell will be releasing a Crispy Chicken Sandwich Taco in several test markets on March 11. Customers in Nashville, Tenn. and Charlotte, N.C. will be the first to get a taste for only $2.49, with the rollout across the rest of the country following later in the year. (Related: McDonald's Is Making These 8 Major Upgrades.)
Here's how Taco Bell plans to bestow its Tex-Mex legacy on this American classic. The sandwich will feature premium all-white-meat crispy chicken, marinated in jalapeño buttermilk, then seasoned with bold Mexican spices and rolled in a crunchy tortilla chip coating. Instead of a straight-forward sandwich bun, the chicken is nestled in a puffy bread shaped like a taco atop a slather of the chain's signature creamy chipotle sauce. The spicy version will also feature jalapeño slices for added heat.
The sandwich-taco hybrid is an almost obvious choice for a chain that isn't afraid to push the boundaries of traditional Tex-Mex staples. They've previously debuted chicken creations like Crispy Chicken Chickstar in 2015, the Naked Chicken Chips in 2017, and the Naked Chicken Chalupa 2017, which flipped the script on traditional chicken menu items.
And this isn't the last you'll hear about new crispy chicken options at Taco Bell. "Taco Bell fans everywhere will be excited to know this isn't our only crispy chicken innovation arriving in 2021," the company said. We look forward to seeing where they take it from here.
For more on new fast food items, check out 6 Most Anticipated Fast-Food Menu Items Launching This Year, and don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – This Is the Fastest Growing Restaurant Chain In America, New Data Shows
- – This Popular Cafe Chain Is Launching Justin Bieber's Favorite Iced Coffee
- – This McDonald's Restaurant Smells So Bad That Employees Have Gone on Strike
- – 13 Secrets Cold Stone Doesn't Want You to Know
- – This Is the Fastest Growing Burger Chain In America, New Data Shows
- – This Recently Bankrupt Southern-Style Restaurant Chain Is Back on a Path to Growth
- – Burger King Is Currently Testing Out Three Major New Sandwiches
- – 8 Secrets LongHorn Steakhouse Doesn't Want You to Know