The Crispiest Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe
We'll be the first to admit that the idea of oven-fried chicken rubs us the wrong way. Usually, the chicken comes out dry and the crust soggy or non-existent, leaving your need to eat crispy, juicy food unfulfilled. But this version of the oven-fried chicken recipe defies all expectations. First, the chicken is brined in buttermilk and hot sauce, then it's coated in bread crumbs that have been tossed in a gentle amount of oil. The result? The juiciest, crispiest oven-fried chicken ever.
Nutrition: 270 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated), 420 mg sodium
8 chicken drumsticks
4 cups non-fat buttermilk
1⁄4 cup salt
1⁄4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp hot sauce (preferably Frank's RedHot pepper sauce)
2 cups panko bread crumbs
2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1 tsp chili powder
1⁄2 tsp garlic salt
How to Make It
- Combine the chicken, buttermilk, salt, sugar, and hot sauce in a sealable plastic bag and shake to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use your fingers to break up the panko bread crumbs into slightly smaller pieces (this will help create a more even coating on the chicken).
- Add the oil, chili powder, and garlic salt and stir to combine.
- Working with one piece at a time, remove the chicken from the marinade, shake off the excess liquid, then toss in the bread crumbs until thoroughly coated.
- Place the chicken pieces on a rack set in a rimmed non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 30 minutes, until the bread crumbs are evenly browned and the chicken is cooked through.
Eat This Tip
Nothing quite like coming to the fridge at midnight with a case of the munchies and finding a pile of cold fried chicken to dive into. With this low-cal chicken, for once it's a safe move, but still, we implore you to keep the chicken around long enough to try one of these other dishes.
Flaky Southern Biscuits with chicken (pulled off the bone for this and the following recipes), honey, and hot sauce.
Mixed green salad with chicken, toasted walnuts, diced apple, blue cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette
BLT with chunks of chicken
More content from Recipes
- – 10 Healthier Copycat Recipes for Nostalgic Childhood Treats
- – Video Shows Courteney Cox Making the "Greatest Steak of All Time" With Some Unexpected Ingredients
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 13 Best Chicken Sausage Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 15 Best Old-Fashioned Recipes to Bring Back for Fall
- – 19 Show-Stopping Halloween Party Foods That Will Spook Your Guests
- – 20 Quick & Easy Dinner Ideas Your Kids Will Love
- – 65 Tasty Fall Recipes That Make Weight Loss So Much Easier