This Beloved Burger Chain Is Making Drastic, Permanent Cuts to Their Menu
Gourmet burger chain Red Robin has fallen on hard times, and questions about its future started swirling after the company reported a greater-than-expected sales loss for the first quarter ending on April 19. During the coronavirus pandemic, the company was forced to close all of its restaurants and rely on takeout and delivery operations, which couldn't account for the full loss in sales.
In order to simplify operations and bounce back from coronavirus losses, fast casual chains are moving to simplified, reduced menus, and Red Robin recently announced that their removal of 55 menu items during the pandemic is going to be a permanent one (McDonald's is considering a similar move as franchises advocate to make the reduced menu permanent).
The company confirmed they have cut menu items in all categories—appetizers, entrees, desserts, shakes, and kid's meals. Some of the most popular things you won't be able to enjoy at Red Robin again are NachO.M.G., Classic Wedge Salad, Chili Chili Cheeseburger, Smoky Jack, Tavern Double, Bruschetta Chicken, Shrimp & Cod Duo, Chocolate Fruffles, Freckled Lemonade Smoothie, and Swirly Twirly Pasta.
The chain opened roughly 65% of its company-owned restaurants by June 7, with reopenings of the remaining restaurants expected by the end of July or early August. With 62% of their sales currently coming from off-premise dining (takeout and delivery), the company said they won't be rushing to reopen dining halls across all 550+ nationwide locations.
More content from Restaurants
- – 5 Old-School Restaurant Chains That Chefs Miss the Most
- – Dine-In Chains That Serve Surprisingly "Gourmet" Food, According To Chefs
- – McDonald's Is Launching a Giveaway of a Lifetime—Here's How to Enter
- – McDonald's Holiday Pie Is Back at Nationwide Locations
- – 8 Fast-Food Chains That Never Freeze Their Burgers
- – 5 Old-School Chain Restaurant Meals We Can't Get Over, According to Chefs
- – 9 Secrets You Should Know About LongHorn Steakhouse
- – 10 Best Chain Restaurant Deals and Freebies You Can Score On Black Friday