A French Bistro-Inspired Sole Meunière Recipe
Deadly simple but intensely satisfying, this French bistro classic ranks as one of the great dishes of the world—especially when made with the freshest fish possible. Sole Meunière is extremely tough to come by in most parts of America, and it's known to inflict damage to the wallet, so we recommend trying this with flounder, which is widely available at about half the price. The French might not approve, but it will be our little secret.
Nutrition: 290 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated), 460 mg sodium
4 fillets sole or flounder (6 oz each)
Salt to taste 1⁄4 cup flour
4 Tbsp butter
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
- Season the fish on both sides with salt.
- Place the flour in a flat dish and dredge the fish on both sides, shaking off any excess flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat until foaming and lightly browned (careful, butter goes from brown to burnt very quickly).
- Working in two batches if necessary, cook the fish, turning once, for about 6 minutes total, until it's nicely browned on both sides and flakes with gentle pressure from your finger. Place a fillet on each of 4 warm plates.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the lemon juice and zest, and parsley to the pan.
- Swirl the pan until the butter is fully melted.
- Divide the sauce among the 4 fillets and serve.
Eat This Tip
Finding Fresh Fish, Fast:
We all know that our home cooked meals are better when the ingredients are fresh. But sometimes fresh fish, meat and produce is hard to come by, depending on what part of the world we're currently in. Here are some places to try an get your hands on some fresh ingredients, some may be more accessible than others, and all vary in price, but they'll all be delicious and worth the investment: Try a local farmer's market is there's one in your city or town, Whole Foods does both in person and delivery, Fresh Direct, Amazon Fresh, are two great online delivery services, and Fulton Fish Market, Giovanni's Fish Market, are two markets that do in person and online orders.
Love this recipe? Subscribe to our Eat This, Not That! magazine for even more at-home cooking and healthy eating ideas.
More content from Recipes
- – I Made Ross' Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich With the Moist-maker—& It's Too Much
- – 13 Delicious Ways to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
- – 7 Tips to Expertly Brine a Turkey, According to Chefs
- – 17 Classic Comfort Foods That Need To Make a Comeback
- – 7 Thanksgiving Side Dishes You Can Make in Your Air Fryer
- – 20 Healthy Shrimp Recipes That Take 15 Minutes (or Less!)
- – 7 Holiday Desserts You Can Enjoy if You Have High Blood Sugar
- – 25 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)