A Mouth-Watering Spanish Garlic Shrimp Recipe
Shrimp is one of the great sources of protein, that is simultaneously low in calories. However, most of the more popular dishes in America add loads and loads of fatty oils, butters and breading onto an otherwise lean ingredient. For a truly lean shrimp recipe, we had to reach outside of American cuisine. A staple on Spanish tapas menus everywhere, gambas al ajillo is a dead simple but genius combination of shrimp slow-cooked in olive oil that's been infused with lots of garlic, smoked paprika, and a touch of chile heat. Shrimp already has a distinct flavor all on its own but by adding these few extra ingredients to it, each bite just gets kicked up a notch, creating a truly mouth-watering meal. You can serve it as an appetizer and everyone will beg you for the recipe at your next dinner party. Or you can even serve it with a scoop of couscous and some roasted asparagus, and you have a magical weeknight dinner that's filling and 100 percent good for you. Either way, you'll need a bit of bread to drag through the garlicky olive oil at the bottom of the pot. You know that's the best part! And hey, there's nothing wrong with that. Means you've done a solid job whipping this meal up!
Nutrition: 250 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated), 310 mg sodium
1⁄4 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1⁄4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt to taste
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, and red pepper in a medium sauté pan set over very low heat.
- Cook slowly for about 5 minutes, until very soft and caramelized, being careful not to let it burn.
- Season the shrimp with the smoked paprika and salt and add to the pan.
- Sauté, turning once, for about 4 minutes total, just until cooked through.
- Sprinkle in the parsley and serve with bread for dunking into the garlic oil.
Love this recipe? Subscribe to our Eat This, Not That! magazine for even more at-home cooking and healthy eating ideas.
More content from Recipes
- – 11 Easy Mini Dessert Recipes That Are Perfect Just for You
- – This Nifty Trick Will Make Perfect Pancakes Every Time
- – 15 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear In The Midwest
- – 9 Old-Fashioned Recipes From the Back of Iconic Product Boxes
- – 13 Old-Fashioned Steak Recipes You Need to Try Tonight
- – SunGold Kiwi Salsa Snack
- – 11 Mouthwatering Mac & Cheese Recipes Way Better Than Boxed
- – 21 Unexpected Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipes