Easy Spinach and Ham Quiche Recipe
The quiche is the ultimate culinary chameleon, not just because it can be made with dozens of different flavor combinations, but also because it is as good for breakfast with a cup of coffee as it is for dinner with a glass of red wine. Or split the difference: Make this quiche recipe for Sunday night's dinner, and then take a wedge with you to work on Monday; it makes for a fine desk-side lunch, and it's great for meal planning in advance, too.
Nutrition: 260 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated), 550 mg sodium
1 frozen pie shell, thawed and pricked with a fork
1⁄2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄2 bunch spinach, washed, dried, and stemmed
2 oz smoked ham, cut into 1⁄4-inch cubes
1⁄2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, such as Gruyère
3⁄4 cup milk
1⁄4 cup half-and-half
1⁄2 tsp salt
Pinch of nutmeg
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. When hot, place the pie shell on the middle rack and bake for about 8 minutes, until lightly toasted, but not browned.
- While the oven heats and the shell bakes, heat the olive oil in large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the spinach.
- Cook for 5 minutes, until the spinach is fully wilted. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ham, cheese, eggs, milk, half-and-half, and spinach, squeezing the spinach thoroughly before adding to purge any excess water.
- Season with salt and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour the egg mixture into the warm pastry shell.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until the quiche has browned lightly on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Eat This Tip
One of the (many) things to love about quiche is how versatile it is. You can take this recipe and change the basic fillings and ingredients to make a whole new meal. Here are some other winning quiche combinations we love!
- Artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese
- Shredded rotisserie chicken, sautéed mushrooms, and asparagus
- Diced Spanish chorizo, roasted red pepper, ricotta cheese
- Tomato, onion, olives, cheddar
- Goat cheese and artichoke hearts
- For a lower calorie option, try making an egg white quiche with your favorite filling.
RELATED: Easy, healthy, 350-calorie recipe ideas you can make at home.