These muffins are good enough to win over anyone, regardless of their diet. They happen to be free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar but more importantly, they have a wonderfully tender and moist texture and just a touch of sweetness. The hearty sweet potato flavor and the warming fragrant spices make them especially satisfying for indulging in the winter. Make them for breakfast and enjoy with coffee or tea, or turn them into a clean dessert that you can enjoy even on the paleo and whole30 diets.
In fact, the only source of sweetness in this recipe are the sweet potatoes and bananas, but you won't believe how satisfying these muffins are. However, if you absolutely can't live without some chocolate in your muffins, you can add some dark chocolate chips to the batter. Keep in mind that while adding some dark chocolate will still make the muffins keto and paleo, they will no longer be whole30-compliant. The only whole30-approved way to add sweetness to your food is by using dates, which pack an intense natural sweetness.
Using alternative flours like almond and tapioca, ensures these muffins are free of grains and therefore perfect for clean eating. The moisture that makes them so satisfying comes from using bananas and sweet potatoes as the basis for the batter.
Makes 12 muffins
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
1/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut cream
1 3/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with papers, or grease each one well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the bananas, eggs, sweet potato, and coconut cream.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Stir the wet ingredients gently into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide the batter evenly between the wells of the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.