This Beloved Taco Bell Item Is Leaving the Menu In a Few Days
Taco Bell is forging ahead with a trimmed down menu this year, and the lighter load is proving to be advantageous for business. The fast-food chain just announced its third quarter systemwide sales grew by 5% despite a sea of social media complaints inspired by controversial cuts of fan-favorite items.
Some of the most protested cuts included the chain's potato items, Nachos Supreme, and Mexican Pizza. The demise of the legendary pizza prompted an online petition urging the chain not to cancel it, which garnered more than 130,000 signatures. In spite of fans' best efforts, Taco Bell hasn't changed its mind, and the pizza will officially depart the menu on Nov. 5. (Related: 9 Restaurant Chains That Closed Hundreds of Locations This Summer.)
While you technically still have a few days to say goodbye to the item, the pizza has been removed from Taco Bell's online menu and app—and some locations have already stopped serving it, according to Thrillist.
Despite its popularity, the Mexican Pizza and other beloved menu items were cut to make room for new innovations—a change which is already paying off for Taco Bell. The operational simplification and reduced hours brought on by the smaller menu contributed to the 4.3% increase in operating margins, the company reported.
Moreover, the Grilled Cheese Burrito, one of the new additions added to Taco Bell's menu in July, has been cited as a standout success driving growth for parent company Yum! Brands as it navigates the pandemic recovery.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – Taco Bell Just Revealed a Brand New Pizza-Like Item
- – This Major Dessert Chain Is Closing 10 Locations Amid Declining Profits
- – America's Second-Largest Burger Chain Is Getting a New Look
- – McDonald's Has a Major New Sandwich In the Works
- – 7 Bizarre Rules McDonald's Employees Have to Follow
- – This Popular Boutique Burger Chain Just Released a Juicy Lucy Burger
- – The Country's Biggest Sandwich Chain Plans to Roll Out This Significant Kitchen Upgrade
- – This Popular Burger Chain Just Brought Back a Fan-Favorite Sandwich