If you’re looking for the newest place to get some comfort food recipes that are guaranteed to make everyone smile, look no further than the aptly named The Happy Cookbook: A Celebration of the Food That Makes America Smile. Fox & Friends host Steve Doocy, along with his wife, Kathy, compiled all of their favorite recipes, photos, and anecdotal stories into a collection of delightful eats that range from hearty breakfasts to lunches, dinners, and decadent desserts. Try your hand at our two favorite recipes from the cookbook below—you’ll definitely smile at the results.
Eggs in a Nest
Makes 4 servings
What You’ll Need
4 cups frozen hash browns, thawed to room temperature
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs
¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 green onion, thinly sliced, for garnish
Ketchup, Frank’s RedHot sauce, or sriracha, for serving
How to Make
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place 4 equal mounds of the hash browns on the prepared baking sheet. To make each nest, use your fingers to form a classic round nest shape, leaving about 1 inch of empty space in the center, where the egg will go. Use the back of a spatula or measuring cup to press down on the potatoes, fusing them together. Coat the nests liberally with cooking spray (this will make them fused and crispy), then lightly salt and pepper them to taste.
3. Bake until the nests are mostly golden around the edges, about 20 minutes.
4. Reshape the nests as needed, spooning any loose hash browns into the nests. Crack an egg into the middle of each nest, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for about 15 minutes more for no runny yolks.
5. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of shredded Cheddar on top, followed by some green onions if you like. Remove the nests to plates using a spatula and serve as-is or with a squirt of ketchup, Frank’s RedHot sauce, or sriracha.
Peter’s Chicken Parmesan Sliders
Makes 8 sliders
What You’ll Need
For the garlic biscuits:
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely minced
1 can Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Original biscuits
For the chicken Parm:
2 large eggs
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Italian-style dried bread crumbs
4 thin-sliced chicken breasts
1 cup your favorite marinara sauce, warmed
8 slices packaged mozzarella cheese
How To Make:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. To make the garlic biscuits: In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the garlic, butter, and olive oil and microwave until the butter is melted. Stir in the parsley and set aside.
3. Make the biscuits according to the package directions, but before baking, paint the top of each biscuit with the garlic-butter mixture. Bake until golden brown and set aside in a warm place. (Leave the oven on for the chicken.)
4. To prepare the chicken Parm: In two shallow bowls, make a breading assembly line. Whisk together the egg, milk, salt, and pepper in one bowl. Place the bread crumbs in the second. Cut the chicken cutlets in half so they will neatly fit inside the biscuits (you don’t want them too big or too small). Dip each cutlet in the egg, then completely coat it in bread crumbs. Coat a baking sheet with the cooking spray and lay the cutlets on it. Also coat the cutlets well.
5. Bake the cutlets for 10 minutes, flip them over, coat the other side with the cooking spray, and bake until golden brown and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes more.
6. Spoon 1 tablespoon of warm marinara sauce over each cutlet and top it with a slice of mozzarella. Stick the cutlets back in the oven for a couple minutes to melt the cheese.
7. Slice the garlic biscuits open and paint the inside top and bottom with some warm marinara. Place a piece of chicken on each bottom biscuit, pop on the top, and enjoy!
Interested in more recipes from The Happy Cookbook: A Celebration of the Food That Makes America Smile? You can buy the full cookbook on Amazon now.