Healthier Triple Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Looking for a way to use up that can of light coconut milk? Try this coconut cream pie! This dessert recipe will satisfy any sweet tooth, and it will have every coconut fan savoring every delicious bite.
Find yourself with coconut oil instead? There are many coconut oil recipes to try as well.
Nutrition: 269 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated), 258 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 25 g sugar, 7 g protein
Makes 8 servings
1/2 15-ounce package refrigerated unbaked pie crust (1 crust)
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 12-ounce can evaporated fat-free milk
1/2 cup canned unsweetened light coconut milk
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut chips
How to Make It
- Unroll pie crust; transfer to 9-inch pie plate.; Flute edges and bake according to package directions; cool. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue. For filling, in a medium saucepan combine 1/3 cup of the sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, and salt. Stir in evaporated milk and coconut milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return all of the mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Stir in the 1/2 cup coconut, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and coconut extract. Keep filling warm; prepare meringue.
- For meringue topping, in a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cream of tartar on medium speed of an electric mixer until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Pour warm filling into baked pastry shell. Spread meringue evenly over filling; seal to pastry edge. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flaked coconut. Bake in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill 2 to 6 hours before serving; cover and refrigerate for longer storage.
Eat This Tip
RELATED: Easy, healthy, 350-calorie recipe ideas you can make at home.
More content from Recipes
- – 9 Secrets for Baking the Best Cake That Only Pastry Chefs Know
- – 17 Classic Comfort Foods That Need To Make a Comeback
- – 7 Holiday Desserts You Can Enjoy if You Have High Blood Sugar
- – The Easiest 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe I've Used for Almost a Decade
- – Will Parchment Paper, Foil, or Non-Stick Spray Bake the Best Cookies? I Found Out
- – 9 One-Bowl Chocolate Recipes That Are Beyond Easy to Make
- – 20+ Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 17 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear in the South