A Vanilla Grilled Pineapple and Rum Sauce Sundae Recipe
The banana may be the sundae fruit vessel of choice (and a great source of potassium to boot), but the standard split formula—one banana, plus three scoops of ice cream—is a disastrous recipe for the discerning eater. Pineapple, on the other hand, holds one good scoop of ice cream perfectly, and its kick of sweetness and acidity—which is only intensified when it's grilled—matches nicely with the creamy vanilla. Add a swirl of rum sauce and some toasted coconut to this grilled pineapple sundae recipe, and it's like having a piña colada, minus the hangover. It's like a vacation on a plate.
Nutrition: 290 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated), 35 g sugar
4 (1⁄2"-thick) slices fresh pineapple, core removed
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups vanilla ice cream
2 Tbsp shredded sweetened coconut, toasted (Toasting the coconut is optional, but highly recommended. To toast, spread on a baking sheet and bake in a 350°F oven for 12 minutes, until golden brown.)
How to Make It
- Heat a grill, grill pan, or large sauté pan over medium heat (using a small pat of butter in the sauté pan).
- Cook the pineapple rings for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until caramelized all over.
- Cook the butter, brown sugar, rum, and vanilla in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar fully melts and the sauce is a uniform dark brown. Keep warm.
- Place one slice of pineapple on each of 4 small plates.
- Top with a scoop of ice cream, drizzle on the rum sauce, then finish with the toasted coconut.
Eat This Tip
We all know bananas are a great source of potassium, but what about pineapples? Here are a few things that this fancy fruit does for your health that you may not have known:
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Goof for bone strength
- Immune system support
- Eye health, as well as lessening your risk of macular degeneration, which is an eye disease that can develop in people's eyes as they age.
- Reduces risk of blood clot
- Aids in digestion
More content from Recipes
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 21 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)
- – Honey Butter Whiskey Scallops Recipe
- – 45+ Best Healthy Copycat Restaurant Recipes to Try Tonight
- – Pork Chops with Maple Rye Glaze Recipe
- – 5 Best Recipes to Help Lower Blood Sugar, Says Dietitian
- – 35 Classic Southern Dishes Your Grandmother Used to Make
- – 16 Old-Fashioned Chocolate Desserts That Everyone (Secretly) Loves