This recipe is excerpted from Diabetes Create Your Plate Meal Prep Cookbook by Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, FAND. Photographs by Alison Lima. Used with permission of Robert Rose Books. All rights reserved.
Croquettes are vegetable patties that are pan-fried in a small amount of oil. This version uses potatoes, carrots, onion, and celery and are mighty tasty
1 large russet potato (unpeeled), shredded (1 lb/500 g)
1 ⁄3 cup (75 mL) plain bread crumbs
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp (5 mL) dried parsley
1 ⁄4 tsp (1 mL) plus 1 ⁄8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
1 ⁄4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
How to Make It
- In a medium bowl, add the potatoes, bread crumbs, carrots, onion, celery, egg, parsley, salt and pepper. Using clean hands, toss to combine.
- Use your hands to form a 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) patty. Place it on a large platter or plate and gently press with your palm to flatten it slightly. Repeat to make a total of 12 patties. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the croquettes, leaving 1 ⁄2 inch (1 cm) around each. Cover the pan and sauté, flipping the croquettes halfway through, until golden brown, 15 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
TO STORE: In each of six containers, add two croquettes. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
TO SERVE: If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. To reheat, microwave uncovered on High for 30 seconds. Allow 2 minutes for the heat to distribute before removing the container from the microwave. Serve warm.
TOBY'S TIP: Leaving the peel on the potatoes provides more fiber.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 18 Dishes You Never Knew You Could Make in a Slow Cooker
- – 16 Old-Fashioned Lunch Recipes That Will Save You Money
- – I Tried Making Kevin's Famous Chili From 'The Office'—Here's What Happened
- – 8 "Southern" Foods That Aren't Actually From the South
- – 13 Cozy Breakfasts To Make This Fall
- – 8 Sheet-Pan Recipes That Fight Inflammation
- – 65 Cozy Comfort Foods That Also Help With Weight Loss