Whole30 Date Squares
Having added sugars on Whole30 is a big no-no. But having natural sugars from whole foods, like dates, is perfectly acceptable while on this clean eating diet. This is why making a pan of date squares is an easy Whole30 dessert idea that will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Even though these date squares taste incredibly decadent, they're actually made with only whole, clean, good-for-you ingredients. Thanks to the almond meal, the crust tastes buttery and nutty without any sweeteners. This helps to balance the sweetness of the date filling. Think of these date squares as Fig Newtons, all grown up!
For the filling:
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 pound pitted dates
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
For the crust and topping:
2 cups almond meal
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp coconut oil, chilled til solid
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice and zest, dates, water, and salt. Cook over medium heat until bubbling, and continue to cook for 6 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer carefully to a blender, and blend until smooth and thick. Set aside.
- Make the crust: In a food processor, combine the almond meal, coconut flakes, sea salt, and coconut oil. Pulse until it begins to stick together.
- Press half of the crust mixture firmly into the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully spread the filling over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over the top of the filling and press it down gently. Bake for 20 to 35 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool fully.
- Once cool, chill the bars for at least 2 hours to make them easier to slice and serve.
More content from Recipes
- – 21 Old-Fashioned Midwestern Desserts to Try This Weekend
- – 35 Classic Southern Dishes Your Grandmother Used to Make
- – 16 Old-Fashioned Chocolate Desserts That Everyone (Secretly) Loves
- – No Bake Lemon Cake Pops
- – 25 Old-Fashioned Desserts That Deserve a Comeback
- – These 15 Forgotten Comfort Foods Need a Comeback
- – Berry Banana Fro-Whip Recipe
- – 21 Easter Dessert Recipes Ready In 20 Minutes (Or Less!)