A 10-Minute Mediterranean Tofu Scramble Recipe
If you're an egg lover who's looking for a plant-based alternative, give tofu a try! Firm and extra-firm tofu varieties give a scrambled egg texture, and they're the perfect canvas for a multitude of flavors. It's important to keep in mind though that extra-firm tofu contains less water than firm tofu, and it also takes longer for it to take on flavors. Extra-firm tofu might not be as ideal for quick recipes like this one, which is why we used firm tofu here.
If you're ever looking to remove some of the water from tofu and you don't have a tofu press, you can make one with items from your kitchen. Simply place the drained block of tofu on a plate with paper towels under and on top of it, then place something heavy on top like a cast iron skillet or a cookbook, which will act as a weight and press out additional water.
While this recipe shows you how to turn tofu into 'scrambled eggs,' you can use a similar method to make 'ground beef' or even add tofu to a stir fry.
This quick scramble is packed with Mediterranean flavors from bell peppers, feta, parsley, and tomatoes, but if you're looking for an extra flavor boost, try adding sun-dried tomatoes in oil, capers, or even olives. If you're looking to make this recipe vegan, simply leave out the feta cheese (or swap it with some nutritional yeast for vegan-friendly cheese flavor).
Makes 2 servings
7 oz firm tofu
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
2 cups baby kale and arugula blend
1/8 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tsp chopped chives
2 tsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
Freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
- Place tofu on paper towels on a plate. Add paper towels on top of the tofu, and place a cast-iron skillet on top for 10 minutes to drain additional water.
- Heat a medium skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and red pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add pressed tofu to the skillet and break up with a spoon to create a crumble. Add to a plate with greens. Top with tomatoes, feta, chives, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
More content from Recipes
- – 27 Creative Ricotta Cheese Recipes (That Aren't Lasagna)
- – 10 Old-Fashioned Dips Made With Healthier Ingredients
- – 10 Healthier Copycat Recipes for Nostalgic Childhood Treats
- – Video Shows Courteney Cox Making the "Greatest Steak of All Time" With Some Unexpected Ingredients
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 13 Best Chicken Sausage Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 15 Best Old-Fashioned Recipes to Bring Back for Fall
- – 19 Show-Stopping Halloween Party Foods That Will Spook Your Guests