The #1 Best Almond Milk to Buy, Says Dietitian
When it comes to alternatives to cow's milk, which one is your favorite? Oat, cashew, almond, pistachio, macadamia—the options are endless.
Plant-based milk is great for those who cannot stomach dairy products or just don't like them. Those who follow a vegan diet also benefit from these alternatives. But when it comes to choosing which almond milk is the best for you, which one do you select?
With so many brands available at supermarkets, it can be hard to ensure you're buying one that's void of unnecessary additives and added sugars. That's why we called on Sydney Greene, MS, RDN, and member of the Eat This, Not That! medical review board for insight on which brand is the best to support right now. But first, we asked her to compare the nutritional benefits of cow's milk to that of almond milk.
Almond milk vs. cow's milk
"When it comes to nutritional benefits, most almond milks don't compare to dairy milk," says Greene.
She points out that dairy milk is naturally higher in protein than most almond milk varieties.
"Many almond milks contain 0-2 grams of protein per glass compared to dairy milk which can have 8-10," she says.
What's the best almond milk brand to buy right now?
Greene says that, out of all of the brands producing almond milk right now, the very best one is MALK.
"There are only three ingredients and about four grams of protein per serving," she says. "The bottles are smaller (and pricier) but this is because more almonds are actually used in the product [rather] than other milks."
So, if you can afford to purchase MALK, that would be the top option. For more tips, be sure to check out 9 Essential Kitchen Tips That Will Elevate Your Next Meal. Then, don't forget to sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Healthy Eating
- – 4 Tips for Damage Control After Eating Too Much
- – 8 Classic Holiday Dishes That Should Never Make a Comeback
- – Coffee Habits That Are Aging You Faster, According to a Dietitian
- – These Dairy Products May Affect Your Heart Differently, Study Says
- – Chefs Say They Would Never Order These Things From a Restaurant
- – 5 Things You're Doing Wrong When Cooking a Steak, According to Chefs
- – 5 Tips To Eat Your Way to a Flatter Stomach After 50, Dietitians Say
- – 9 Secrets To Choose the Best Pumpkin in the Pumpkin Patch