Burn Extra Calories on Date Night With This Couples Workout Routine
Let's be honest: Getting fit with your partner makes working out way more enjoyable. Science says it can even strengthen your romantic bond. According to Psychology Today, hitting up the gym and striving towards exercise goals with your SO can enhance the quality of your relationship and how happy you are in it. It can also boost the effectiveness of each sweat session. So in the name of working out with your partner, we spoke with Maggie Priore, a personal trainer on Fyt who breaks down the best couples workout routine that'll help you burn extra calories. (If you didn't already know, Fyt is the largest personal training service in the nation that makes fitness under the expert guidance of an in-person or virtual, certified fitness professional convenient and accessible for everyone.)
According to Priore, "Working out with your significant other is a great way to hold each other accountable to reach fitness goals and make workouts more fun." So what are you waiting for? Date night just got a major upgrade, thanks to this couples workout routine. Get ready to burn extra calories and seriously sweat. Check out this awesome workout below, and next, be sure to read The 6 Best Exercises for Strong and Toned Arms in 2022, Trainer Says.
Squat to Medicine Ball Toss
The first exercise in this couples workout is the squat to medicine ball toss. Partner A will begin performing a squat with the medicine ball in hand. When coming up from the squat, they will toss the medicine ball over to Partner B, where Partner B will catch it and do a squat.
Priore instructs, "Start off by using an unweighted ball to become familiar with the exercise. Once both partners feel comfortable with the exercise, use a weighted medicine ball, and gradually increase the weight so that it's challenging for both people."
She continues to say this particular exercise can be performed with a sit-up variation: "Partner A does a full sit-up and throws the ball to Partner B as they come up. Partner B catches the ball and throws it back to them. The partners switch roles after 10-12 reps."
Superset switch-ups are a fun way to turn your workout into a challenging game of sorts. Priore says, "One thing I like to do with couples is giving Partner A an exercise while Partner B performs another exercise until Partner A finishes, then they switch."
Some examples of superset switch-ups include:
- Partner A performs 10 walking lunges down and back while Partner B assumes a plank until Partner A finishes their exercise.
- Partner A performs HIIT exercises such as kettlebell swings, ball slams, or squat jumps for 30 seconds while Partner B stays in a wall sit.
- Partner A performs 10 regular or assisted pull-ups while Partner B performs pushups.
Priore says this is a challenging yet amazing exercise for your glutes and hamstrings. She instructs, "Partner A starts on their knees with their toes curled under them, and Partner B is behind them holding their ankles. Partner A should keep their body as straight as possible and try to go to the ground, allowing their hands to catch them. From there, [they should use their] hands to push [themselves] back up."
Leg Raise Throw Down
This last exercise will have Partner A lying flat on their back with their legs positioned straight in front of them. Partner B should be standing behind them. "Partner A raises their legs, and Partner B creates resistance with their hands and pushes their legs down," Priore instructs.
More content from Mind + Body
- – Mark Wahlberg, 51, Lives by These Fitness Habits
- – This Simple Sitting Exercise Lowers Blood Sugar and Burns Fat, Study Says
- – Every Thick Waistline Needs This Visceral Fat Reducer at 60, Trainer Says
- – The Most Effective Pilates Workout for Better Sex, Expert Shares
- – Just 2 Minutes of Walking After a Meal Can Lower Your Blood Sugar
- – Bad Running Habits That Are Rapidly Aging Your Body, Expert Reveals
- – 5 Exercise Habits to Slow Muscle Aging, Trainer Reveals
- – This Bride's 4-Month Workout Got Her Toned for Her Wedding Day