10 Signs You’re Addicted to Carbs
If you have struggled with weight gain in the past, there's a good chance you may be "carb sensitive." So what exactly does this mean? You might be surprised to find out that there are people who are sensitive to carbohydrates experience an exaggerated physiological response to sugars and carbohydrates. They get intense cravings for starches and sweets, or a ravenous appetite that leads to overeating and results in easy fat storage.
Yes, having such a strong reaction to carbs and sugar is very real and could be the reason behind your carb addiction. If you feel like this may be you, there's a way to determine if you have the actual symptoms. And that's with the carb sensitivity test you can give yourself. And while you're at it, try any of these 21 Best Healthy Cooking Hacks of All Time.
Take the Carb Sensitivity Self-Test
Count each sign that applies to you.
- I am overweight.
- I have a parent or sibling with Type 2 diabetes.
- I often crave sweets or starches (bread, pasta, etc.).
- I tend to eat when I'm feeling stressed.
- I tend to gain weight in my belly.
- I often feel sleepy an hour after eating a high-carb snack or meal.
- I crave breakfast breads or cereal first thing in the morning.
- I feel I need a sweet after every meal.
- When eating a high-carb snack, I have trouble limiting how much I eat.
- I often still feel hungry after a meal.
Count the number of checkmarks.
1–3: You may be slightly carb sensitive.
4–6: You are probably moderately carb sensitive.
7–10: It's very likely that you are very sensitive to carbohydrates.
Obviously, this self-quiz isn't a blood test. And we are not doctors. But your answers to this quick quiz can point you to a potential sensitivity to carbohydrates that you can begin to control using the right advice, techniques, and healthy recipes.
(If you are concerned about carb sensitivity or Type 2 diabetes, we highly recommend you visit your doctor for a full health evaluation. Ask specifically for an HA1c blood test, a highly accurate measurement of blood sugar level.)
If you're looking for an easy, healthy way to kickstart your weight-loss journey, this 7-day smoothie diet will help you shed those last few pounds.