A Low-Calorie Elvis Sandwich Recipe
You've heard of Elvis Presley, of course. The icon is known for his hip shaking, Hound Dog singing, and record-breaking career. By now, most of us have come to know other aspects of his life as well, including his eating habits. If you haven't heard them yet, the stories about Elvis's prodigious powers of consumption are widely known—in particular, his love of a certain sandwich involving peanut butter, banana, and, according to some accounts, bacon and honey. We take those accounts seriously, which is why, to honor the King, we bring them all together in this Elvis sandwich. But don't worry, this version is considerably more modest than most of Presley's creations (one, called the Fool's Gold Loaf, consisted of a hollowed-out loaf of bread stuffed with a pound of bacon and a jar each of peanut butter and grape jelly). The King isn't the only lover of this sweet and salty combination; New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg once said that the Elvis sandwich would be his last meal, and not because ingesting this meal would send him to his maker, by the way. Like all of our recipes, this one is not only last-meal-worthy, it is simultaneously low in calories and high in healthiness.
Nutrition: 330 calories, 12 g fat (2.5 g saturated), 360 mg sodium
1⁄4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
8 slices whole-wheat bread, lightly toasted
2 bananas, sliced
1 Tbsp honey
2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (You can add more bacon if you like, but we find a modest sprinkle gives the sandwich all the smoky, savory kick it needs)
How to Make It
- Spread a generous layer of peanut butter on 4 pieces of the toast.
- Pave with the banana slices, drizzle with a light stream of honey, and scatter with the crumbled bacon pieces.
- Top with the remaining toast.
Eat This Tip
Our last meal on this earth wouldn't be the Elvis, but another bacon-fueled sandwich phenom: the BLT. While it's nearly perfect on its own, these are a few modifications worth exploring:
- BATE: Bacon, arugula, tomato, and a sunny-side-up egg
- BLAT: Bacon, lettuce (preferably romaine), avocado, and tomato
- BLATSM: Bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato, sriracha-spiked mayo
This recipe (and hundreds more!) came from one of our Cook This, Not That! books. For more easy cooking ideas, you can also buy the book!
More content from Recipes
- – 13 Healthier Old-Fashioned Midwestern Recipes To Try Tonight
- – 30+ Easy Dinners That Will Leave You With Plenty of Leftovers
- – 20 Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes To Make This Weekend
- – 23 Old-Fashioned Summer Recipes You Need To Make
- – 15 Classic 1950-era Dishes That Will Make You Feel Super American
- – 15 Vintage Cakes That Are Perfect for Birthdays
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat
- – The Best Classic Recipes Your Grandma Used to Make