Tandoori Chicken Legs and Roasted Cauliflower
Surprised to find a tandoori chicken recipe that's keto-friendly? You love to sop up the sauce with basmati rice and a hunk of naan—both classic keto no-nos—but you won't miss those starchy carbs in this rendition of the Indian restaurant classic. Chopped cauliflower, garlic, lemon zest, garam masala, chopped pecans, and coconut oil conspire to make the satisfying base of this keto dinner dish.
Oh, and the chicken. Marinated in yogurt and spices overnight, the chicken legs roast up to the tasty tandoori flavor you're used to. And you don't need to invest in a tandoor oven to mimic the traditional result. Just pop this chicken in the oven and get ready for a tasty meal.
Nutrition: 984 calories, 73 g fat (27 g saturated fat), 1,101 mg sodium, 22 g carbs (6 g fiber, 7 g sugar), 62 g protein
Makes 2 servings
2 chicken hindquarters or 4 chicken legs
1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil or ghee, melted
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 Tbsp coarsely chopped pecans
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
How to Make It
1. Season and cook the chicken. Zest and juice lemon. Place a resealable plastic bag in a large bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the yogurt, ginger, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon garam masala, the chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to bag. With a knife, make three slashes on top of chicken pieces; place chicken in bag and seal. (Slashing the chicken legs with a knife will allow all the zesty flavors of the marinade to penetrate the meat.) Gently massage bag to mix. Refrigerate overnight, turning the bag over occasionally. Preheat oven to 400 °F. Remove chicken from marinade (pieces will still be coated) and place on one end of a baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes.
2. Prep and roast the cauliflower. In a large bowl, combine 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and the remaining garlic, garam masala, and salt. Stir in coconut oil. Add cauliflower and stir until well coated. Remove baking sheet from oven; add cauliflower mixture to the other end, spreading into a single layer. Roast 30 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink inside and cauliflower is tender and browned around edges. Add pecans to cauliflower for the last 5 minutes of roasting time. Remove from oven and toss cauliflower mixture with basil. Serve with chicken.
More content from Recipes
- – 4 Healthy Breakfast Recipes To Manage Diabetes
- – Egg Muffins with Spinach and Feta
- – Almond Cherry Smoothie Packs
- – Pecan Pie Muffins
- – Crunchy Peach Parfaits
- – 27 Creative Ricotta Cheese Recipes (That Aren't Lasagna)
- – 10 Old-Fashioned Dips Made With Healthier Ingredients
- – 10 Healthier Copycat Recipes for Nostalgic Childhood Treats