Anyone who follows food news knows that McDonald's has been all about change as of late: The chain has supersized their Quarter Pounder, added kale to their ever-shrinking menu and just last week, the chain announced they would be serving all day breakfast starting in October.
So it should come as no surprise that there's yet another tweak up Ronald McDonald's sleeve. The fast food chain recently announced that they plan to change the way they cook their biscuits, bagels and English muffins, which play a leading role in their popular McMuffin line. Instead of topping the carb pillows with liquid margarine, they will soon be slathering on real butter. Inside select stores, signs already advertise the nationwide change, and remaining locations will make the switch once they've used up their supply of margarine, according to CNBC.
Although this isn't such good news for those with lactose intolerance, it's great news for your waistline and total health. Though margarine has less saturated fat than butter, it packs a ton of additives, including health-harming trans fats which have been shown to increase the risk of depression. It gets worse: Research shows that the spread may also abet weight gain, increase heart disease risk and dangerous cholesterol levels — definitely not what you want on your go-to breakfast sandwich.
While we're amped about the menu-wide change, we can't deny that some of McDonald's breakfast dishes are far better than others. To ensure you stay on track with your weight loss goal, be sure to check out our guide to the Best and Worst McDonald's Breakfasts.
MELT UP TO 10 POUNDS IN ONE WEEK! WITH OUR BEST-SELLING NEW DIET PLAN, The 7-Day Flat-Belly Tea Cleanse! Test panelists lost up to 4 inches from their waist! Available now for Kindle, iBooks, Nook, Google Play, and Kobo.
More content from Restaurants
- – McDonald's Report Reveals the #1 Most-Ordered Item in 2022—& It Isn't a Burger
- – This 108-Year-Old Louisiana Woman Simply Can't Get Enough Taco Bell
- – 8 Popular Brunch Orders That Make Chefs Roll Their Eyes
- – Wendy's Is Now the Most Expensive Fast Food Restaurant in the U.S., New Data Says
- – Wawa Is Finally Opening Its First Locations In a Handful of States
- – Looking for the Cheapest Fast-Food Near You? There's Finally a Database to Help
- – This Is the One Chicken Wing Chain That Chefs Actually Rave About
- – 8 Secrets You Should Know About Olive Garden