Chick-fil-A Supplier Mishap Caused a Contamination of This Popular Item
It turns out one of Chick-fil-A's healthiest menu items—and a popular kid's meals option—was hiding a potentially dangerous undeclared allergen all along.
According to the chain, its grilled chicken nuggets have been found to contain a dairy allergen, thanks to accidental contamination at the supplier. A notice posted on the Chick-fil-A website states that the allergen had unintentionally made its way into the recipe for grilled filets and grilled nuggets, and that the company was taking immediate steps to rectify the situation.
"We are actively working with the supplier so this doesn't happen again and to ensure the allergen is removed," the notice reads. "We understand and take seriously the trust our Guests place in us to make sure their food is how they expect it, and we apologize for this situation. Our priority is that our impacted Guests can enjoy these products again soon."
While an undeclared dairy allergen in food is harmless for most, those allergic to dairy could experience symptoms of varying severity after ingesting it—from hives and an upset stomach to vomiting, bloody stools, and even anaphylactic shock.
Upon learning of the allergen, Chick-fil-A immediately updated the ingredient information for the affected menu items on its mobile app and website and sent signage to all restaurants to notify guests of the allergen. While it plans on altering the recipe for grilled chicken, its current stock of grilled chicken cutlets and nuggets will continue being sold until supplies run out.
But the chicken chain isn't the only one currently dealing with a food safety issue. Burger slinger Wendy's is battling a major E. coli outbreak in four Midwestern states, which most likely originated from its romaine lettuce supply. According to most recent reports, more than 100 people have fallen ill after eating at the chain's locations in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Indiana and several have been hospitalized.
Wendy's has temporarily stopped serving romaine lettuce in areas affected by the outbreak.