This Beloved Costco Fall Bakery Item Has Shot Up In Price
Though fall doesn't officially start until Sept. 22, several beloved apple, cinnamon, and pumpkin products are already on sale at Costco. One of these seasonal favorites is generating headlines not because of its massive size but rather an increase in sticker price.
Like a perfect orange pumpkin picked from the patch, the pumpkin pies lining the shelves of Costco's bakery section are a staple of the fall season. Without fail, they make their grand return to warehouses each year in late August or early September. Until this year, the 3.5-pound pies were always priced at $5.99. Now, warehouse members will now have to fork over an additional $1.
Other iconic Costco items have never changed in price, such as the hot dog and soda combo in the food court or the rotisserie chicken in the deli. In 2019, the warehouse sold 6.1 million pumpkin pies between September and December, according to People. Thus, even a slight $1 uptick would likely bring in millions of additional dollars for the retailer.
Eat This, Not That! reached out to Costco for more information about the price hike, but the company declined to comment. Since the original recipe has stayed the same since 1987, the uptick likely isn't due to ingredient changes. Sue McConnaha, the chain's vice president of bakery operations, created the dessert as a 10-inch pie with all-natural and preservative-free ingredients, according to People. The pumpkins used to make the pies come from Illinois farms, and the seeds are saved and sold to a bird feeding company.
How does this pie compare to other warehouse sweet treats? Here are The Best & Worst Costco Bakery Items—Ranked!
For more on what's happening at your local warehouse, check out:
- 8 Things You'll Never See at Costco Ever Again
- Costco Still Has These 4 Rules Amid the Delta Variant Spread
- The One Costco Rotisserie Chicken Secret You Have To Know
- Popular Costco Foods That Help Fight Inflammation, Say Experts
And to get all of the latest Costco news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – Coca-Cola's Newest Soda Just Launched But The Flavor Remains A Mystery
- – Over 13,000 Pounds of This Popular Frozen Pizza Is Being Recalled Because of a Serious Contamination
- – 5 Non-Dairy Milks To Leave on Grocery Store Shelves Right Now
- – The 6 Worst Frozen Dinners To Stay Away From Right Now
- – Trader Joe's Abruptly Closes This Extremely Popular Store
- – Costco Bakery Has Just Brought Back This Beloved Fall Item
- – 5 Popsicle Brands To Stay Away From Right Now
- – These Kroger Locations Will Soon Offer Gambling