70 Locations of This Beloved Burger Chain Are Going Bankrupt
Fast-food burger chain Jack in the Box just posted its highest sales in almost three decades, but not all of their locations are doing so hot. Missouri Jack, a franchisee that operates 70 locations of the beloved chain in Missouri and Illinois, has just filed for bankruptcy on account of its debt.
Missouri Jack and Illinois Jack, which own Jack in the Box restaurants in their respective states, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after the owner was unable to reach an agreement with City National Bank (CNB) over a debt of more than $15 million, according to Restaurant Business. (Related: McDonald's Is Making These 8 Major Upgrades.)
Based on the court documents, the franchisee cited growing competition in the fast-food business as well as the COVID-19 pandemic as the main reasons for falling behind on its loan payments to CNB. While the company has been negotiating a workout with Jack in the Box and CNB for nearly a year, it was unable to strike a deal.
The filing could affect 57 Jack in the Box locations in Missouri and 13 locations in Illinois, but closures may not necessarily follow. The filing says major creditors have tentatively agreed to mediation while the franchisee is under bankruptcy court protection.
While Missouri and Illinois may see some Jack in the Box closures, the company has announced their franchisees would actually be expanding locations for the first time in a decade, as the brand's earnings statement reveals the strongest sales since 1994.
For more on the latest fast-food news, check out 6 Most Anticipated Fast-Food Menu Items Launching This Year, and don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get more delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – Select McDonald's Locations Are Bringing Back This Beloved Breakfast Item
- – America's Second-Largest Burger Chain Walks Back Major Expansion Plans
- – The Unhealthiest Restaurant Meals You Should Never Order
- – This Popular Fast Casual Will Lay Off 5% of Its Workforce Due To Slowing Sales
- – The World's Largest Pizza Chain is Closing All Locations in This Country
- – McDonald's Will Be Offering Major Savings On These Items Next Week
- – 7 Worst Fast-Food Sandwiches to Stay Away From Right Now
- – 5 Fast-Food Chains With the Best Salad Options Right Now