America's Biggest Chicken Chain Is Adding This to the Menu for the First Time in Decades
If you're a fan of KFC's particular brand of fried chicken, you're in for an extra special pint-sized treat. The popular chicken chain hasn't had this on the menu for decades, but the time has finally come for the return of this snackable item.
This week, the Louisville-based fast-food chain launched the Kentucky Fried Chicken Nuggets, available in 8, 12, and 36 pieces and starting at $3.49, with a side of dipping sauce. But before you get excited, this launch is limited to only one test market for now. Customers in Charlotte, N.C. will get to taste this brand new creation before the rest of the country (so you guys better order a ton to prove that they're good enough for the rest of us).
The 100-percent white meat nuggets are hand-breaded with the original 11 Herbs and Spices recipe, so expect them to taste similar to the larger patties.
"While nuggets often come in small packages, that doesn't mean they should have small flavor," says Nick Chavez, KFC's chief marketing officer, in a statement. "Our Kentucky Fried Chicken Nuggets offer a new way to enjoy our distinctive 11 Herbs & Spices, and will have you saying, 'now that's finger lickin' good.'"
Nuggets haven't been on the KFC menu for decades, but the chain is looking to close the snackable item gap with its largest competitors like Popeyes, which added nuggets to its menu last year. Unfortunately, Restaurant Business reports that the long-await chicken nuggets didn't really manage to move the needle in the right direction for Popeyes, which saw lower sales after the nugget launch.
KFC, perhaps, is hoping that its chicken sandwich—which launched systemwide last year—is a preview of the potential sales that can be generated with a major new signature item. The sandwich was responsible for a 14% increase in sales in the quarter it was launched, and 11% in the following quarter.
Not in the mood for chicken? KFC is also rolling out $5 Mac & Cheese Bowls for a limited time. And these are available for all of us, not just those lucky residents of North Carolina.
More content from Restaurants
- – These Struggling Pizza Chains Are on a Major Rebound
- – 6 Fast-Food Orders To Avoid If You Have High Blood Sugar
- – 8 Chefs' Tips for Ordering the Best Meal at a Steakhouse
- – A Leaked Wendy's Memo Reveals the Next Big Menu Launch Scheduled for This Fall
- – 8 Fast-Food Sandwiches To Stay Away From Right Now, According to RDs
- – 8 Secrets Texas Roadhouse Employees Don't Want You to Know
- – The Latest Changes at America's Largest Coffee Chain Seem to Be Designed to Turn Customers Away
- – Taco Bell Will Be Testing Its Next Major Menu Innovation Next Month