America's Largest Grocery Chain Is Recalling These 20 Bakery Items
Kroger has issued a recall of select Country Oven baked goods because the ingredients used to make them may contain large amounts of iron. We're not talking about the essential macronutrient commonly found in spinach and other vegetables but rather "possible metal fragments."
Food Safety News was the first to report about the potentially harmful additives in the starch used to produce the baked goods. The announcement includes Country Oven branded bakery items such as cinnamon rolls, chocolate cakes, danishes, fudge cakes, marble cakes, vanilla cakes, and yellow cakes. For a full list of the items involved in the recall, click here.
The products were sold in nearly 30 states: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
After a recall is issued, prompt action is taken action to remove any impacted items from store shelves. However, certain items may have already made it into customers' homes. The "Use By" dates on the affected products range in time from 12/28/21 to 04/06/2022.
The incident was labeled as a "Class II" recall, which the U.S. Food and Drug Administration classifies as "a situation in which use of or exposure to a violative product may cause temporary or medically reversible adverse health consequences or where the probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote." No word of possible illnesses related to the recall was provided in the initial report.
If any of these bakery items are in your kitchen, return them to the point of purchase or throw them out now. Afterward, follow these two expert-approved steps to sanitize your kitchen.
Are you up to date on the most recently recalled items from grocery shelves? Don't forget to check out:
- Drinks From 4 Popular Brands Sold at Costco and Walmart Are Being Recalled
- These Popular Fish Products Were Just Recalled in 4 States, FDA Says
- 5 Newly Announced Food Recalls to Check Your Kitchen for ASAP
- Check Your Fridge for These Recalled Meats ASAP
And to get all of the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – 34 Items Costco Is Discontinuing This Winter
- – 4 Biggest Complaints Costco Customers Are Voicing Right Now
- – Costco Shoppers Are Going Crazy for This Frozen Pizza
- – Costco Just Brought Back Its Wagyu Beef—and Shoppers Have Mixed Feelings
- – Hummus Giant Sabra Halted Production To Get Back on Track After Frequent Food Safety Issues
- – The Best & Worst Cream Cheese on Shelves—Ranked!
- – 8 Greek Yogurts With the Lowest Quality Ingredients
- – This Clever Trick Will Let You Shop at Costco Without a Membership