America's Largest Grocery Chain Is Changing This COVID-19 Rule
There are more than 2,700 Kroger stores across the U.S., and the grocery chain is considered to be America's largest. A COVID-19 rule that is being changed by the company may affect some of its nearly 500,000 employees.
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2022, Kroger will no longer give unvaccinated employees an additional two-weeks paid emergency COVID-19 leave should they contract the disease. Impacted workers will still be able to use earned paid-time-off or request unpaid leave, according to the Cincinnati Inquirer.
"Vaccinated employees that fall ill from COVID-19 can get up to two weeks of paid leave without using their regular time-off benefits," wrote reporter Alexander Coolidge.
Kroger will also charge salaried employees who are unvaccinated and signed up for a company health plan $50 a month, which adds up to $600 a year. In contrast, the chain will keep doling out $100 bonuses to those who get the shots.
While Kroger isn't requiring all employees to get vaccinated, the company told the Cincinnati Inquirer that it was modifying its policies in an effort to "encourage safe behaviors including vaccination."
"The administration of the vaccine to our associates has been an integral part of our efforts (to combat the pandemic) and continues to be a focus," Kroger spokeswoman Kristal Howard said of the changes. "We have been navigating the COVID-19 pandemic for almost two years, and in line with our values, the safety of our associates and customers has remained our top priority."
The rule change will extend to Kroger's other brands, including Fred Meyer, Harris Teeter, Mariano's, and Ralphs. More top grocery chains are also keeping certain COVID-19 safety rules in place. Walmart, for example, is continuing to shut down some of its locations for almost 48 hours in order to deep clean, sanitize, and restock.
For more on what's happening at your neighborhood grocery store, check out:
- Starbucks Just Launched This Highly Anticipated Grocery Item
- These 4 Recalled Grocery Items May Be Lurking in Your Kitchen
- America's Largest Grocery Chain Just Made a Big Change to Its Eggs
- This Popular Grocery Aisle Brand Just Launched a New Premium Burger Chain
And to get all of the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – Trader Joe's Abruptly Closes This Extremely Popular Store
- – Costco Bakery Has Just Brought Back This Beloved Fall Item
- – 5 Popsicle Brands To Stay Away From Right Now
- – These Kroger Locations Will Soon Offer Gambling
- – Cereal Brands With Questionable Food Quality Practices
- – These Chocolate Products Have Just Been Pulled From Grocery Shelves
- – 4 Worst Hot Dogs To Stay Away From Right Now
- – 6 Non-Dairy Food Brands To Stay Away From Right Now