America's Largest Grocery Chain Just Made a Big Change to Its Eggs
Whether you want blueberry pancakes or a crunchy salad for breakfast, eggs are a kitchen staple that can be used in sweet or savory meals. And since it's the most wonderful time of the year, we'd be remiss if we didn't mention The Single Best Way to Make Eggnog You've Never Tried.
On the refrigerated aisle of the supermarket, grocery shoppers are finding a growing list of egg options to sift through. The various labels on egg cartons have descriptions like "cage-free," "free-range," and "organic"—just to name a few. In the new year, America's largest grocery chain will have yet another choice to consider.
Shoppers will be able to pick up a dozen "carbon-neutral" eggs at select Kroger stores in late 2022. The eggs are the result of a partnership with Kipster Farms, which Kroger refers to as an "award-winning egg production system founded in the Netherlands." An egg production facility that uses the same system is currently being constructed in North Manchester, Ind.
Related: 5 Grocery Items Plummeting in Supply
The first "carbon-neutral, cage-free eggs" to hit U.S. shelves will be developed under the Simple Truth brand. The eggs will be produced on a farm with the "highest standards for animal welfare" that uses chicken feed made from leftover food from bakeries and other food purveyors.
"These Simple Truth and Kipster eggs will be produced in a closed-loop system that aligns with the highest health and welfare standards for people and animals," Brad Studer, senior director of Our Brands for Kroger, added in a news release. "These sustainable, zero-waste eggs reflect yet another milestone in Kroger's Zero Hunger|Zero Waste mission to help create communities free of hunger and waste."
The news comes as Kroger continues to outline its plans to reduce its carbon footprint and transition to cage-free eggs in its 2,800 U.S. stores.
For more on what's happening at the supermarket in your neighborhood, check out:
- The Best & Worst Italian Dressing on Grocery Store Shelves—Ranked!
- Kroger Is Raising Prices on Select Grocery Items, CFO Says
- Grocery Recalls Are Hitting an All-Time High—Here's Why
- Costco Just Extended Its Sale on These Items
And to get all of the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – This Grocery Delivery Company Is Shutting Down Permanently
- – These Are America's 6 Favorite Cheap Beers
- – 4 Summer Grocery Items That Are More Expensive Than Ever Right Now
- – 8 Discontinued Costco Foods We Want Back
- – Walmart vs. Amazon—Which Has Better Deals Right Now?
- – The Worst Foods to Buy at Walmart
- – 7 Secrets Beef Companies Don't Want You to Know
- – Costco Foods Everyone Is Buying for the Fourth of July