Don't Make This Major Meat-Cooking Mistake, New Study Warns
After analyzing how different methods of cooking meat affect the human body, an international team of food scientists was able to determine the best and worst ways to cook meat for your tummy. Roasting, as it turns out, is one of the absolute worst.
The researchers recently revealed their findings of how various ways of cooking meat impact "the digestibility of muscle proteins in the gastrointestinal tract" in Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. The methods they examined were boiling, frying, grilling, microwave, roasting, sous-vide, steam cooking, and stewing.
Here's the breakdown of how your body breaks down meat. (See what we did there?!) According to the findings, meat is most easily digested when cooked in a sous vide. This cooking method refers to preparing meat in a temperature-controlled water bath, oftentimes in a vacuum-sealed pouch. Per the researchers, a sous vide "can induce favorable changes . . . in muscle proteins and improve their digestibility."
Meanwhile, roasting and stewing meat were found to have the least desirable effects on digestion. According to the results, these two particular meat-cooking methods "can induce unfavorable changes," such as excess production of G.I. acid, an increase in compounds that can cause gas, and a "decrease [in] the susceptibility of proteins during gastrointestinal digestion."
Perhaps this provides some solid insight as you plan your meals for the week ahead. The next time you feel a little tummy discomfort, don't forget to check out One Major Effect of Fasting, Says New Study.
For more food news, check out:
- Health Habits You Should Never Do After Age 60, According to Doctors
- One Major Side Effect of Using Coffee Pods, New Study Says
- These 12 Cancers Are Linked to a Bad Diet, Doctor Says
- 6 Secrets Costco Doesn't Want You To Know
Get the food and wellness news you need delivered to your inbox every day when you sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Healthy Eating
- – 7 Best Breakfast Habits for Treating Arthritis
- – 4 Best Eating Habits To Reduce Chronic Pain
- – 4 Best Eating Habits to Reduce Inflammation and Slow Aging
- – 6 Worst Snacks for High Blood Pressure
- – 4 Surprising Side Effects of Eating White Rice
- – Red Meat Is Even Worse for Your Heart Than We Thought, Says New Study
- – 4 Best High-Protein Snacks for Stronger Muscles in Your 50s
- – The Absolute Worst Alcoholic Drinks for Your Heart