Pecorino-Romano Crisps with Thyme Recipe
Sometimes we wonder, where would the keto diet be without cheese? Yes, cheese, one guilty pleasure you don't have to give up just because you're trying to eat fewer carbohydrates and sugars. Cheese comes in an abundance of different types and textures, and most of its forms are high in fat and protein. Sure, it can be high in calories and sodium, too, but whether a cheese is "good for you" or not all depends on the type. For example, Pecorino-Romano, a hard salty Italian sheep's-milk cheese used in this recipe, is not only lauded as the "champagne of cheese" but has also been found to provide incredible health benefits. It is rich in conjugated linoleic acid, which may be linked to lower BMI and a decreased risk of diabetes. Sheep's milk cheeses are also higher in calcium than cow's milk cheeses.
However, if you have any other hard or semi-hard cheese in your fridge (like cheddar or parmesan), it will work for these crisps, too. Not only is this a much healthier alternative to store-bought junk food, this recipe is so easy to make and to personalize. Want to try a different flavor profile? Swap out the thyme for some rosemary, ground paprika, or even a pinch of cayenne. Trust us, once you try these, you'll be making them for years to come.
Nutrition: 44 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated), 98 mg sodium, carbs 1 g, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 3 g protein
Makes 2 servings
1/2 cup (2 oz) freshly grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp flax seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds or cumin seeds, crushed
1/8 to 1/4 crushed red pepper or Aleppo pepper
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. In a medium bowl toss together all the ingredients. Place a rounded tablespoonful of the cheese mix onto prepared pan and pat to about a 2-inch circle. Repeat with remaining cheese mixture, spacing circles 1 inch apart (you should have eight).
- Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown (make sure you don't overbake, cheese burns quickly). Cool on the baking sheet until firm.
More content from Recipes
- – 4 Healthy Snack Recipes to Manage Diabetes, According to a Dietitian
- – Carrot Cake Energy Bites
- – Orange Creamsicle Chia Pudding
- – Whipped Cottage Cheese With Berries and Pistachios
- – Vegetable Croquettes
- – 16 Crispiest Comfort Food Recipes to Make in Your Air Fryer Tonight
- – 20+ Healthy Mug Recipes You Can Make in 5 Minutes (or Less!)
- – 21 Easy Weight Loss Snacks That Take 5 Minutes (Or Less!)