Sunrise Sandwich With Turkey, Cheddar, and Guacamole Recipe
We are firm believers in the splendors of the original Egg McMuffin, along with many of the other ready-to-eat breakfast sandwiches that have followed in its wake. But not all handheld breakfast bites are so virtuous, because many of them are flooded with excessive carbs and fat. And even the McMuffin can be greatly improved upon, which is exactly what we do here, subbing in lean turkey for Canadian bacon, adding lycopene-rich tomato, and crowning it all with a spread of heart-healthy guacamole.
Nutrition: 380 calories, 13 g fat (3.5 g saturated), 980 mg sodium
1 tsp canola or olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 oz smoked turkey breast (Smoked meat products can be high in sodium. Look for turkey with fewer than 500 milligrams of sodium per serving.)
1 slice American, Cheddar, or pepper Jack cheese
1 thick tomato slice
1 whole-wheat English muffin, split and toasted
1 Tbsp guacamole, either homemade or Wholly Guacamole
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet or sauté pan over medium heat until hot.
- Add the egg and gently fry until the white is set but the yolk is still runny, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Place the turkey on a plate, top with the cheese, and microwave for 30 to 45 seconds, until the turkey is hot and the cheese is melted.
- Place the tomato on the bottom half of the English muffin, and season with salt and pepper. Top with the turkey and egg. Slather the guacamole on the top half of the muffin, and crown the sandwich.
Eat This Tip
The English muffin is the best of all breakfast bread, and none is better than a Thomas' Light Multi-Grain English Muffin. Each muffin contains just 100 calories and packs in an astounding 8 grams of fiber—about as much as you'd find in three apples. It provides the perfect base for so many kinds of handheld breakfasts sandwiches that you don't want to miss. Here are a few worth trying:
- Smoked salmon with tomato and avocado
- Scrambled eggs with ham, American cheese, and spinach
- Peanut butter with banana slices and honey
More content from Recipes
- – Old-Fashioned New England Dishes and Drinks That Are Still Popular
- – 13 Healthier Old-Fashioned Midwestern Recipes To Try Tonight
- – 30+ Easy Dinners That Will Leave You With Plenty of Leftovers
- – 20 Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes To Make This Weekend
- – 23 Old-Fashioned Summer Recipes You Need To Make
- – 15 Classic 1950-era Dishes That Will Make You Feel Super American
- – 15 Vintage Cakes That Are Perfect for Birthdays
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat