The Easiest Guacamole Recipe You'll Ever Make
Nobody should be without a solid guacamole recipe. It's a healthy, incredibly delicious condiment that makes almost anything it touches taste better, and it's a key part of any Cinco de Mayo spread.
Even if you're celebrating the holiday in quarantine this year, that's no reason not to enjoy some classic Cinco de Mayo foods! This guacamole is delicious with these crispy quesadillas, or just with some tortilla chips and veggies. And for more cooking ideas, sign up for our newsletter to get daily recipes and food news in your inbox!
Nutrition: 190 calories, 15 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 440 mg sodium
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt to taste
2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
1/4 cup minced onion
2 Tbsp minced jalapeño pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
2 oz tortilla chips
How to Make It
- Combine the cilantro and garlic on a cutting board and use the back of a chef's knife to work them into a fine paste; a pinch of coarse salt helps this process. (If you own a mortar and pestle, there's never been a better time to use it.)
- Transfer the paste to a bowl and add the avocado.
- Use a fork to mash the avocado into a mostly smooth—but still slightly chunky—purée.
- Stir in the onion, jalapeño, lemon juice, and salt.
- Serve with tortilla chips or warm corn tortillas.
Eat This, Not That! Tip
We mentioned a mortar and pestle, so here's what you need to know about this secret-weapon kitchen tool. The mortar and pestle is a critical tool for unlocking the flavors behind many of the world's most thrilling culinary creations—from pesto from Italy to curries from Thailand and salsa and guacamole from Mexico. By pounding ingredients like herbs, spices, garlic cloves, and chiles, you release their essential oils, infusing dishes with an intense flavor that's impossible to achieve with a knife or a food processor.
While ceramic mortars are good-looking, look for a volcanic or granite base with a slightly rough exterior. It's abrasion you're looking for to unlock those essential oils, and this tool does it the best.