A Healthier Fish Tacos With Tilapia and Avocado Recipe
I sure do love a good fish taco. While most fish tacos I grab are battered and fried (usually with a nice piece of cod), I found making fish tacos at home to be much easier than I anticipated. Because the fish I made for this recipe doesn't involve breading a fish fillet, you can save major calories and bulk up on some delicious toppings instead.
For this recipe, I ended up buying frozen tilapia at the grocery store. Although I'm a huge fan of fresh fish, finding it at a decent price within my budget can be difficult, which is why I buy it frozen. I defrosted the fillets before marinating them, and cooked them in a glass casserole dish.
Now fish shouldn't be that smelly, and if it is, you should not eat it. However, sometimes fish can start to smell while it is being cooked. But don't worry, there's an easy way to cook fish without making your whole house smell.
If you're not a fan of tilapia, you can always make a similar recipe using shrimp! Try this shrimp taco recipe, which is made with pickled onions. However, if you would prefer the toppings below, they should still taste delicious with some roasted shrimp.
Fish Tacos With Tilapia and Avocado Recipe
Makes 4 servings
1 pound tilapia (about 2 fillets), thawed
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil
pico de gallo
limes, cut in quarters
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the tilapia fillets in a shallow bowl with the taco seasoning and the olive oil. Place in the fridge, and let the fillets marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Once marinated, take the tilapia out of the bowl and place it into a glass casserole dish.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the fish starts to flake easy with a fork.
- Serve on warmed tortillas with avocado slices, shredded cabbage, queso fresco, pico de gallo, and slices of lime.
Eat This Tip
Queso fresco is a mild cheese, so if you would prefer a cheese that's a bit more potent, use cotija!
More content from Recipes
- – 13 Healthier Old-Fashioned Midwestern Recipes To Try Tonight
- – 17 Old-Fashioned Food Terms You'll Only Hear in the South
- – 30+ Easy Dinners That Will Leave You With Plenty of Leftovers
- – 20 Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes To Make This Weekend
- – 23 Old-Fashioned Summer Recipes You Need To Make
- – 15 Classic 1950-era Dishes That Will Make You Feel Super American
- – 15 Vintage Cakes That Are Perfect for Birthdays
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat