This Grocery Chain Is Providing Free Breakfast For Veterans and Families
The pandemic isn't stopping grocery store chain Hy-Vee from continuing its tradition of honoring military service every November. The retailer is hosting a drive-thru breakfast giveaway on Veteran's Day, plus raising funds to support military families.
All veterans and active-duty military members are invited to come to any Hy-Vee location with their families for a free breakfast on Wednesday, Nov. 11. With COVID-19 precautions in place, the meals will come individually packaged and be dispensed via contactless drive-thru windows in store parking lots. (Related: 9 Restaurant Chains That Closed Hundreds of Locations This Summer.)
And what kind of breakfast can the vets expect? A representative for Hy-Vee told Eat This, Not That! that the chain will be serving everyone's favorite classics: eggs, bacon, hash browns, and toast. The retailer expects to hand out more than 90,000 meals at its 256 stores located across Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. Veterans will also be able to nab a 10% discount on their grocery purchases on the federal holiday.
All other shoppers can support veterans by participating in the retailer's Homefront Round-Up fundraiser, which will be held from Nov. 1 through 15. Now in its eighth year, the donation-based event takes place right at the checkout counter, where customers can round up their purchases to the nearest dollar (or the amount of their choosing).
Hy-Vee is matching all customer donations up to $100,000, with all proceeds going to nonprofits which assist veterans, active-duty military members, and their families. The group of organizations includes: Hope for the Warriors, Operation First Response, Puppy Jake Foundation, and the American Red Cross.
If you'd like to participate in the fundraiser without going to a physical Hy-Vee location, you can also visit the grocer's website to make a donation.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest grocery news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Groceries
- – Trader Joe's Is Releasing Its Fall Items Soon—Here's How You Can Get Paid $1,000 To Try Them
- – This Massive Drink Recall Was Just Expanded to Include Almost 90 Beverages
- – A Tomato Shortage Could Make Pizza, Sauce, and Salsa More Expensive
- – America's Largest Grocery Chain Is Making This Major Change To Its Checkout Lanes
- – This Costco Product Just Beat Out 60+ Others, New Investigation Says
- – This Fast-Food Chain Is Debuting Its First Snack on Grocery Store Shelves
- – Walmart and Other Grocery Stores Sold This Potentially Dangerous Kid's Drink
- – 4 Mayo Brands That Use the Best Quality Ingredients