Your New Go-To Exercises for Balance and Stability As You Age
As the health experts at the Mayo Clinic rightly note, just about any exercise that keeps you on your feet at all is something that will help you improve your balance. But as you get older, you may be wondering what the best exercises you can do for better balance and stability are. "As you age, you begin to lose muscle mass and strength, and your reaction time begins to slow as well," says The Cleveland Clinic. "These are all things that affect your balance. As a result, you're more susceptible to trips and falls." But work these four great stability exercises into your routine for a longer, better balanced life.
For the Lower Back: Back Extension
Position yourself in a Roman chair and bend over at the waist, lowering your torso until it's nearly vertical. Return to the starting position. Do three sets of 15 reps.
For the Abs and Obliques: Torso Swivel
Sit in a rotary torso machine, adjust the armrests 45 degrees to your right, and twist left as far as you can. Do 10 reps, then repeat on opposite side. Do three sets.
For the Arms and Abs: Yoga Warrior Pose
Spread your legs and extend your arms out to your sides. Turn your right foot out 90 degrees; bend your knee until your thigh is parallel to the floor. Hold for 10 breaths. Repeat on your left side.
For the Legs: Single-Leg Balance
For this one, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Lift one leg off the floor and bend it backward, activating your knee. Hold the position for 30 seconds while maintain proper form. Repeat on the other side.
More content from Mind + Body
- – 5 Lean-body Exercises Everyone in Their 50s Should Do, Trainer Says
- – This Is the One Spot You Can Swim With Manatees in North America
- – The 7 Best Workout Dresses for the Gym and Beyond
- – The Intense Exercise Kate Hudson Does To Stay Strong and Fit
- – Bad Back in Your 40s? These Strength Exercises Will Help, Expert Says
- – SI Swimsuit Model Ella Halikas Shares Her Workout Routine
- – This Is the Most Effective Weight Loss Workout To Do at Home, Trainer Says
- – The Daily Exercise Victoria Beckham Does to Sculpt Her Glutes at 48