The #1 Best Breakfast for Arthritis, Say Experts
For those struggling with arthritis, finding relief is essential to leading a healthy—and comfortable—life. And while breakfast is an important meal for everyone, it's potentially even more impactful for people living with arthritis. That's why you want to choose an anti-inflammatory dish that starts your day off on the right note.
If you ask dietitians and nutritionists about the perfect brekkie choice, they agree it's simple: oatmeal, chia seeds, walnuts, and berries.
In osteoarthritis, inflammation plays a role in the degeneration of cartilage and pain, so a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods can help minimize these effects of arthritis, says Serena Poon, a certified nutritionist and celebrity chef. Oatmeal is an anti-inflammatory and checks off the 'filling' protein must-have for mealtime, while berries are some of the most antioxidant and polyphenol-rich options available.
"These foods powerfully counteract inflammation and have been shown to help slow the progress of arthritis specifically," says Poon.
Walnuts are also packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
Don't forget the chia seeds, which serve as a source of plant omega-3s, the highest found in nature, as well as soluble fiber, says Wendy Bazilian, DrPH, RDN. They will grow in the liquid, keeping you satisfied for longer.
"Green tea is packed with antioxidants, such as EGCG, which reduces inflammation and decreases joint damage," says Koszyk. "Polyphenols, other antioxidants, further reduce inflammation, which is beneficial for people who have arthritis," she adds.
More content from Healthy Eating
- – Is Sourdough Actually Healthier Than Regular Bread?
- – The Mediterranean Diet May Offer Long-term Health Results for MS, Says Science
- – Your Low-Carb Diet May Increase—Not Decrease—Diabetes Risk, New Study Suggests
- – 4 Tips for Damage Control After Eating Too Much
- – 5 Bad Eating Habits That May Cause Hair Loss, Says Dietitian
- – New Study Reveals Intermittent Fasting Can Have These Dangerous Side Effects
- – The 10 Best Superfoods To Alleviate Joint Pain
- – The #1 Best Supplement to Boost Motivation, New Study Suggests