The #1 Best Breakfast for Arthritis, Say Experts
For those struggling with arthritis, finding relief is essential to leading a healthy—and comfortable—life. And while breakfast is an important meal for everyone, it's potentially even more impactful for people living with arthritis. That's why you want to choose an anti-inflammatory dish that starts your day off on the right note.
If you ask dietitians and nutritionists about the perfect brekkie choice, they agree it's simple: oatmeal, chia seeds, walnuts, and berries.
In osteoarthritis, inflammation plays a role in the degeneration of cartilage and pain, so a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods can help minimize these effects of arthritis, says Serena Poon, a certified nutritionist and celebrity chef. Oatmeal is an anti-inflammatory and checks off the 'filling' protein must-have for mealtime, while berries are some of the most antioxidant and polyphenol-rich options available.
"These foods powerfully counteract inflammation and have been shown to help slow the progress of arthritis specifically," says Poon.
Walnuts are also packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
Don't forget the chia seeds, which serve as a source of plant omega-3s, the highest found in nature, as well as soluble fiber, says Wendy Bazilian, DrPH, RDN. They will grow in the liquid, keeping you satisfied for longer.
"Green tea is packed with antioxidants, such as EGCG, which reduces inflammation and decreases joint damage," says Koszyk. "Polyphenols, other antioxidants, further reduce inflammation, which is beneficial for people who have arthritis," she adds.
More content from Healthy Eating
- – 4 Surprising Effects of Eating Egg Yolks
- – 14 Side Effects of Drinking Coffee Every Day, According to Dietitians
- – The #1 Best Cheese for Strong Bones, Says Dietitian
- – If You Meet Any of These 5 Criteria, You Need To Cut Back on Sugar
- – 7 Eating Habits That Help You Feel Younger After 50
- – The #1 Best Protein To Eat Every Day, Says Dietitian
- – The #1 Worst Cheese for Your Heart, Says Dietitian
- – The #1 Best Fruit To Lower Blood Sugar, Say Dietitians