Instant Pot French Onion Soup
Getting onions to cook perfectly for French onion soup can be quite the challenge. First, you have to carmelize them, then have them simmer in a wine and beef broth before baking it with crusty bread and melty cheese. There are a lot of steps to take, but thanks to this Instant Pot French onion soup recipe, you can eliminate the stress and cook a batch of onions perfectly every single time.
This Instant Pot French onion soup is a great appetizer if you plan on making dinner for a crowd. When you serve them in small ramekins (that can bake in your oven), you'll easily be able to create portion control for the appetizer so your appetite for dinner won't be spoiled. If you really want to make your dinner a classy affair, serve this red wine steak with oven-baked fries and finish it off with these grilled apricots with vanilla ice cream.
Here is an easy step-by-step tutorial for you to follow!
Makes 8 servings
2 yellow onions, sliced thin
2 sweet onions, sliced thin
4 Tbsp butter
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup dry wine
4 1/2 cups beef broth
1 small French baguette
1/4 cup olive oil
6 slices Gruyere
How to Make It
- Add sliced onions, butter, minced garlic, thyme, salt, and 1/4 cup of water to the Instant Pot.
- Seal and cook on high pressure (Manual/Pressure Cook) for 5 minutes. Release the pressure immediately after.
- Turn on the Saute feature. Using a rubber spatula, continue to mix until the onions start to carmelize—about 3 minutes.
- Add in the wine, then let it simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the wine cooks through.
- Pour in the beef broth. Let it simmer for 20 minutes while you prepare the bread. While you wait, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut thick slices of the French baguette, about 2 slices per bowl.
- Brush the olive oil on both sides of the baguette slices, then place on a baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven on both sides for 6 minutes, flipping the slices after the first 3.
- Once removed, set the oven to broil.
- Ladle the soup into oven save bowls or large ramekins. Add slices of baguette to the tops of each bowl, then a slice of Gruyere cheese.
- Place the bowls on a clean baking sheet. Carefully place in the oven and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese starts to get bubbly.
- Be careful when serving, the ramekins will be hot!
More content from Recipes
- – 45 Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes You Need To Make This Year
- – 25 Cozy Instant Pot Recipes Perfect for Weight Loss
- – 8 High-Protein Vegetarian Recipes to Make Tonight
- – 16 Healthy Stuffed Peppers Recipes That Are Perfect for Weight Loss
- – 20 Instant Pot Meals You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
- – 30+ Healthy Instant Pot Recipes for Weight Loss
- – Mediterranean Cauliflower and Pepper Salad
- – 103+ Best Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Weight Loss