These U.S. Airports Have the Best Food, New Survey Finds
Airplane food is notoriously terrible. From the tiny bags of overly salted mixed nuts to the unappetizing trays of pallid chicken and soggy vegetables, many folks would rather go hungry than eat the cuisine they're offered mid-flight.
However, while the food served while flying the friendly skies may not be your favorite fare, that doesn't mean you can't get a great meal when you're on the road.
A new study conducted by J.D. Power reveals that two U.S. airports earned high marks in terms of offering great food and drink options to travelers passing through.
Which airports have the best food and drink options?
According to J.D. Power's study, Miami International Airport was one of two airports to earn top marks for its dining and drink options. The transit hub, which serves 11.3 million domestic and 7.4 million international passengers on 249,676 flights each year, boasts a wide variety of culinary options under its roof.
Travelers passing through the airport have access to a long list of restaurants and bars including:
- Pizza at 305 Pizza, Famous Famiglia, Maestro Della Pizza, Sbarro's, and five Pizza Hut and Pizza Hut Express locations
- Bagels from Einstein Bros. Bagels and The Great American Bagel
- Coffee at Juan Valdez Café, Espressamente Illy, two Dunkin' Donuts locations, and eight Starbucks stores
- Cuban food at Bongos Cuban Café, La Carreta and Café La Carreta, Estefan Kitchen Express, Ku-Va Restaurant and Bar, and five Café Versailles locations
- Fast food at three Au Bon Pains, three Nathan's Famous locations, Burger King, McDonald's, Quizno's, Subway, Wendy's, and Taco Bell
- Drinks at Bacardi Mojito Bar, Beaudevin, Bud Light Lounge, two Budweiser Brewhouses, Clubhouse One, Concrete Beach Brewery, two Corona Beach Houses, Heineken Bar, Jose Cuervo Tequileria, La Pausa, Samuel Adams, Stella Bar, The Clover Irish Pub, Wynwood Warehouse Bar, and numerous other bars, eateries, and snack shops
Miami International also took home the top spot for overall traveler satisfaction at a Mega Airport, earning 828 points out of a possible 1,000.
The other airport to score top marks for its food and drinks was Louis Armstrong New Orleans International, which earned the top overall traveler satisfaction score in the Large Airport category, snagging 844 points out of a possible 1,000.
At this transit hub, travelers can enjoy:
- Food from Emeril Lagasse-owned Emeril's Table
- Burgers at Dook's Burgers and Shake Shack
- Hot dogs at two Lucky Dogs locations
- Salads at City Greens
- Southeast Asian-inspired fare at MoPho
- Southern and Creole food at Ye Olde College Inn and The Munch Factory
- Fast food at Chick-fil-A
- American fare at Chili's
- International cuisine from James Beard Award-winning chef Susan Spicer's Mondo restaurant
- Beignets from iconic NOLA eatery Café du Monde. Yum!
For the latest restaurant news delivered to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter!
Read this next:
- 14 Secrets From Diet Experts to Stay Slim on Vacation
- 30 Worst Vacation Habits for Your Waistline
- 25 Best Healthy Snacks to Pack For a Road Trip