Burger King Japan Is Selling This Unique Side Amid Potato Shortages
Burgers and fries go together like peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese, and milk and cookies. But due to an ongoing potato shortage, Burger King Japan has had to make an adjustment to one of the most classic food combinations.
According to CBS News, Burger King, which operates more than 150 restaurants in Japan, is asking customers to swap out their fries for another salty side: crunchy ramen noodles. The fast-food chain is calling the modified meal a "Sorta Potato" Set, and it includes a burger, a drink, and a bag of Baby Star Dodekai ramen—a dried ramen noodle snack that is popular in Japan.
For more fast-food news, don't forget to check out 4 New Menu Additions You'll Find at Burger King.
Before landing on crunchy ramen noodles as a replacement side, Burger King Japan also considered offering boiled ramen, broiled squid, and apple pie. While the chain told CBS News that its "unusual offerings" have earned it loyal customers, not everyone is pleased with the recent side substitution.
"If Burger King had only crunchy ramen, maybe I'd just go to McDonald's," one customer told the news outlet.
Burger King isn't the only fast-food chain that has been forced to address a shortage of spuds.
Back in December, McDonald's Japan announced that it would only be offering small-sized french fries, due to supply chain issues and large-scale flooding at a Vancouver port, which the chain uses for imports of its potatoes.
Additionally, at the end of April, KFC Singapore announced that it will temporary suspend the sale of french fries amid the global potato shortage. As an alternative, the iconic fried chicken chain has been selling potato wedges that come in three varieties: plain, cheese, and golden cheddar.
More content from Restaurants
- – 4 Just-Launched Taco Bell Items You Can Try Right Now
- – Taco Bell Is Testing This Crazy New Snack Food Hybrid
- – 5 Truths About the Fast-Food Industry That Will Make You Lose Your Appetite
- – McDonald's Latest Drive-Thru Innovation Could Soon Be Added to More Locations
- – 5 Fast-Food Chains Most Criticized By Customers
- – Chick-fil-A Just Unveiled a Solution To Its Ongoing Drive-Thru Issues
- – Burger King Is Launching Two Major New Burgers
- – This National Pizza Chain Just Announced Plans to Open 1,000 New Locations