Adding This Popular Seed to Your Water Could Help You Lose Weight, Nutritionists Say
This fall, a myriad of weight-loss wisdom just keeps rolling in. It's been interesting to observe the current debate between experts on whether or not squeezing lemon juice in coffee could help you lose weight. And now, this week, nutrition pros are nodding to another very simple drink mixture that they say could support your slim-down efforts.
Holistic nutritionist Kerri Ferraioli and registered dietitian Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RDN, CDN spoke with Insider to weigh in on this weight-loss trend, which has been making the rounds on TikTok. Keep reading to learn what this concoction is and why these nutrition experts suggest it could be worth a try if you're looking to prevent weight gain or shed a few pounds this fall. And for more, check out our list of the 50 Best Detox Waters for Fat-Burning and Weight Loss.
Hydration as a Base
We all know that staying hydrated is important to our body's overall function. Drinking water can be a great way to support weight-loss efforts because it helps to flush fat and toxins from the body so we're better equipped to properly process what we eat and drink.
But then, if you had a certain seed to your water, it could potentially boost your weight loss results.
Subscribe to the Eat This, Not That! newsletter for food and wellness news delivered daily.
Add Chia Seeds
That's right. The concept of adding chia seeds to water as a way to shed fat has been getting a lot of attention on TikTok.
The thing is, say experts, this could actually work. Ferraioli suggested to Insider that the amount of healthy fat in chia seeds can make an individual feel full fast.
Dietitian Taub-Dix added that this healthy fat combined with the protein naturally found in chia seeds can make you feel pretty satiated for an extended period of time, with the added benefit of not spiking your blood sugar.
How to Add Chia Seeds to Water to Lose Weight
Insider offers a suggested (and easy!) formula for putting chia seeds into your water: Pour two tablespoons of chia seeds inside a 10-ounce glass of water, then wait three to five minutes (but not much more than this) for the seeds to absorb the water and become soft enough to drink.
Just note: Some sources have suggested it's normal if the seeds-and-water combo has a gelatinous consistency. So, this may not be appetizing for everyone! Luckily, just committing to drinking enough water per day can also help with your weight-loss efforts.
For more on weight loss and wellness…
If you're looking for fitness tips and inspiration, you've come to the right place:
- Want a Lean Body for Good? Adopt These 4 Exercises ASAP, Trainer Says
- Eating Habits to Avoid If You Don't Want High Cholesterol
- Drinking Habits That Are Wrecking Your Body, Say Experts
- I Lost 110 Pounds, And This is the #1 Thing That Helped Me
- Rebel Wilson Reveals the Real Reason Behind Her 75-Pound Weight Loss
More content from Weight Loss
- – 10 Ways You're Wrecking Your Belly Fat Loss Goals, Say Dietitians
- – The #1 Diet to Lose Weight and Keep It Off, Says New Study
- – Best Eating Habits from 7 People Who Successfully Lost Belly Fat
- – 19 Weight Loss Foods That Really Work, Say Experts
- – 6 Ways Eating Quinoa Helps You Lose Weight, Say Dietitians
- – 5 Best Dessert Habits to Lose Belly Fat, Say Dietitians
- – This Popular Diet Doesn't Actually Work, Says New Study
- – The Verdict on Drinking Smoothies for Weight Loss, Say Experts