This Super Popular Menu Item Is Leaving Chipotle Earlier Than Planned
Nearly a year ago, Chipotle upgraded its menu with a brand new meat option that was kicked off as a test in two select markets. That meat was brisket, and it was an immediate hit with customers in Sacramento and Cincinnati that got to try it first.
By the time the brisket arrived at Chipotle restaurants nationwide this past September excitement was piqued and soon the praises were rolling in. Fans tweeted comments like "That brisket at Chipotle is different. Please go bless yourselves," and "Chipotle owe[s] me a check for the way I been endorsing this brisket."
Professional reviewers were also largely enamored with the new meat. "I'm telling you [the brisket] will be your new favorite," wrote Alexis Castillo for Delish.
Sure, there have also been a number of critics of the brisket, with the chief complaint being about the meat's dryness and toughness. Others have also decried the high price, but overall, the rollout was a success for the company.
But it's a short-lived treat for those who have been evangelizing the new menu item. According to CNN, the brisket will be departing the menu in November, which is sooner than expected. Chipotle usually makes its limited-time menu items available for at least an entire quarter (as was the case with last year's Carne Asada.)
Chipotle CEO Brian Nicol said the brisket's shortened run isn't due to a lack of customer demand or enthusiasm. On the contrary, it seems that the allotted supply of the brisket didn't last as long as the company had hoped, according to FOX 8.
"We're probably ending a little bit shorter than we originally planned, but that's just a direct result of the great response from the consumer and the great execution of our operators," Niccol said. Fortunately, he also had some good news for customers who have come to love the brisket, saying: "I'm guessing we'll probably do brisket again at some point in the future."
For more, check out:
- Arby's Just Quietly Discontinued These 6 Menu Items
- Did Wendy's Just Ruin This Best-Selling Menu Item?
- 7 Most Disliked Menu Items at Major Fast-Food Chains
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – These Struggling Pizza Chains Are on a Major Rebound
- – 6 Fast-Food Orders To Avoid If You Have High Blood Sugar
- – 8 Chefs' Tips for Ordering the Best Meal at a Steakhouse
- – A Leaked Wendy's Memo Reveals the Next Big Menu Launch Scheduled for This Fall
- – 8 Fast-Food Sandwiches To Stay Away From Right Now, According to RDs
- – 8 Secrets Texas Roadhouse Employees Don't Want You to Know
- – The Latest Changes at America's Largest Coffee Chain Seem to Be Designed to Turn Customers Away
- – Taco Bell Will Be Testing Its Next Major Menu Innovation Next Month