Chipotle Is Testing a New Version of This Top-Selling Ingredient
Cauliflower rice's 15 minutes of fame haven't yet expired at Chipotle yet. The popular grain alternative is now debuting as Mexican Cauliflower Rice, a variation on the keto-friendly classic which will be tested at 60 participating Arizona, Southern California, and Wisconsin locations for a limited time.
Customers can expect to taste a blend of garlic, cumin, salt, and paprika on the new item, which will be grilled in small batches on the plancha (a very hot grill).
Nationwide, customers can still order the original Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice which was added to the menu in January of 2021. Ever since its rollout, the item has been skyrocketing in popularity and attracting new customers. In fact, one out of five Cilantro-Lime rice orders comes from Chipotle newbies, the chain says.
"After the success of our Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice last year, we are eager to test a second plant-powered start for any go-to order," says Nevielle Panthaky, Chipotle's vice president of culinary. "Our guests crave real plant-based options, so we developed a new flavor-packed recipe that aligns with our food and integrity standards."
The chain is charging about $2 extra for a 4-ounce portion of the new Mexican Cauliflower Rice depending on the location, but it is expected to be a continued draw for anyone following the Whole30, vegan, paleo, and keto diets.
When you swap out the regular rice for the cauliflower rice, you're lowering your calorie count and carb count—and you're adding vitamins C and K to your meal. But don't be fooled into thinking this will make your Chipotle order a healthy one. Depending on your combo, you could be ingesting almost an entire day's allowance of sodium and fat.
To promote the new item, Chipotle is offering free delivery on orders of $10 or more that include the rice through June 21.
More content from Restaurants
- – 4 Just-Launched Taco Bell Items You Can Try Right Now
- – Taco Bell Is Testing This Crazy New Snack Food Hybrid
- – 5 Truths About the Fast-Food Industry That Will Make You Lose Your Appetite
- – McDonald's Latest Drive-Thru Innovation Could Soon Be Added to More Locations
- – 5 Fast-Food Chains Most Criticized By Customers
- – Chick-fil-A Just Unveiled a Solution To Its Ongoing Drive-Thru Issues
- – Burger King Is Launching Two Major New Burgers
- – This National Pizza Chain Just Announced Plans to Open 1,000 New Locations