Chipotle's Highly-Anticipated New Menu Item Is Here
Chipotle's small market test of a new vegan protein is now going nationwide. Back in August of 2021, Chipotle began offering a Plant-Based Chorizo in Denver and Indianapolis, and thanks to an overwhelmingly enthusiastic response from those who have tried it, the new plant-based option is now available at all Chipotle restaurants across the country.
According to a press release, the Chorizo launches this week and will be offered for a limited time only. But pending more enthusiasm and customer demand, the new item could join chicken, steak, barbacoa, carnitas, and sofritas as a permanent offering in the future.
The vegan chorizo is made primarily from protein sourced from fresh, farm-grown peas (something the chain emphasizes in contrast to lab-grown "meat".) The pea protein base is flavored using chipotle peppers, tomato paste, garlic, paprika, and olive oil, and it offers 16 grams of protein in a 4-ounce serving, which is notably higher than the 11 grams of protein found in a comparable portion of another plant-based favorite, sofritas.
Along with the chorizo, Chipotle has also unveiled three new Lifestyle Bowls that will feature the new protein. These include the Whole30 Salad Bowl, the Vegetarian Bowl, and the Vegan Bowl, which are all part of a healthy menu that caters to people following specific diets.
Chipotle's choice to go nationwide with a new vegan menu option is in stark contrast to the experience of its competitor, Taco Bell, which late last year decided to go back to the drawing board with its plant-based carne asada.
Despite raising its menu prices significantly last year, Chipotle is experiencing a meteoric rise and is set to undergo major growth. In last month's interview with CNN, CEO Brian Niccol confirmed that the chain is hoping to double in size—from 3,000 to 6,000 locations—in the foreseeable future.
For more, check out:
- Chipotle Is Making This Menu Addition For the First Time In Its History
- Chipotle's Latest Burrito Deal Was a Nightmare for Both Employees and Customers
- The 5 Biggest Fast-Food Chain Shakeups That Will Change the Game This Year
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 8 Most Questionable Meats at Popular Fast-Food Chains, According to Insiders
- – Kanye West Just Announced a Major Collaboration With McDonald's
- – This Once Bankrupt Brand of Grill Restaurants Is Making a Huge Comeback
- – 12 Discontinued Fast-Food Burgers You'll Never See Again
- – 10 Controversial Secrets About Olive Garden's Food, According To an Employee
- – Wendy's May Soon Debut This Long-Awaited Frosty in the U.S.
- – Taco Bell Just Added Four New Items to the Menu
- – 7 Secrets Applebee's Doesn't Want You to Know